Water butts on roof

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Uriah Heap

Water butts on roof

Post by Uriah Heap » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Neighbour has placed two water butts on his flat roof (1 story high), not proper garden butts, they are old cold water water tanks he found in a skip. They are filled fom his downpipe from his guttering which makes a hell of a noise when they are empty. They are also very unsightly.

Any one know whether this is legal or does he need planning?

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Water butts on roof

Post by MacadamB53 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Uriah Heap wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:30 pm
Neighbour has placed two water butts on his flat roof (1 story high), not proper garden butts, they are old cold water water tanks he found in a skip. They are filled fom his downpipe from his guttering which makes a hell of a noise when they are empty. They are also very unsightly.

Any one know whether this is legal or does he need planning?
maybe your LPA might know?

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Hello Uriah Heap,
I have thought a lot about this problem on your behalf. I would suggest that you, one really dark night, shimmy up onto the roof and cause the offending water tanks to fall from the roof and under the force of gravity, this could be achieved with a sharp movement of your lower leg and foot. I am given to understand that the technical term is 'Kicking Butt'. :D
Regards

Uriah Heap

Post by Uriah Heap » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:38 pm

IdefixUK wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Hello Uriah Heap,
I have thought a lot about this problem on your behalf. I would suggest that you, one really dark night, shimmy up onto the roof and cause the offending water tanks to fall from the roof and under the force of gravity, this could be achieved with a sharp movement of your lower leg and foot. I am given to understand that the technical term is 'Kicking Butt'. :D
Regards
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Doubt there's anything illegal about it, but depending on the size of these containers, I hope his roof is strong enough to support them. 1 litre of water = 1kg, so 500 l of water soon makes some weight. Flat roof's often leak, if the board underneath isn't up to the load, then he could find himself getting an unexpected cold shower.