Leylandii - how to spot them

ajay3bee
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Leylandii - how to spot them

Post by ajay3bee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi,

I live in a mid-terraced Victorian property. My new next door neighbour has just planted 7 conifers in his front garden along the inside edge of the wall.

Apart from making my front garden a lot darker, he has trimmed them to the right height, but I'm concerned (a) that they are Leylandii, he says he can't remember, they're just conifers (which I find strange because he must have some sort of receipt from the company from which he purchased them and (b) just how close they are planted to the houses.

So first question is, any thoughts on how I can find out if they are Leylandii? Are there any tell tale clues I should look for that would identify it from any other conifer?

Secondly I have uploaded a photo showing how close the final tree has been planted to both properties. Is there any legislation on how close is too close for these trees?
Leylandii.jpg
Thanks,
AJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Leylandii - how to spot them

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi AJ,

although I too would not be best pleased if my neighbour did something like you've described, he's not done anything unlawful or illegal nor can you rely on any legislation to force him to move/remove the trees.

kind regards, Mac

jdfi
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by jdfi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 am

Wonder if you could get a solicitor to send a warning letter to the effect that you will hold him and his trees responsible for any damage to your foundations etc?

SJC14

Post by SJC14 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am

jdfi wrote:Wonder if you could get a solicitor to send a warning letter to the effect that you will hold him and his trees responsible for any damage to your foundations etc?
Does that sound reasonable to you? It sounds like mountains over a mole hill to me and an invitation to massive animosity.

Getting back to the hedge, yes it is Leylandii cypress but as long as he trims it into a hedge there will be no issues over them growing massive. As a pruned hedge they will have less roots, as all hedges do. I do not think it is front garden material in an urban setting but as long as there is maintenance that should avoid problems.

despair

Post by despair » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm

I dont agree
I know of leylandii planted 50 yrs ago that have always been kept trimmed to 3.5metres but the roots are way across the neighbours garden and the trees are a thicket of 2 foot diameter trunks

I think different soils are part of the issue