Sycamore Tree

Sycamore Tree

Postby sixpence » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm

I have an enormous Sycamore Tree immediately behind my back garden fence which is set in private land owned by a couple living in a large detached property which has a great deal of land attached to it. My bungalow belongs to a housing association. There are 12 strides between my back kitchen door and the tree and around 9 from a large built on brick shed by the side of the kitchen back door. Those are my strides..I'm 5' 4''. I have spent this afternoon clearing numerous broken branches and twigs off my back garden...but spend hours clearing up leaves and seeds during each year. My landlord no longer clears gutters so that a job my son and I now have to do as the leaves cause blockages. The tree is not in sight of the private homeowners property from inside and is a considerable distance from it. The local Council did send out an assessor after I contacted them regarding concerns but he found the tree to be in good health and there were no apparent root issues. Loss of light to my property is considerable in the summer months as the tree spans across more than half of the garden. I can no longer see the top of the tree from my kitchen window, even when bending to try and see it. Can anyone advise if this type of tree has a growth limit please? If not, are there any laws to say the height should be reduced given the closeness of it to my property? Although no children live here and do feel I am at some risk as a 66 year old pensioner, my main concerns are my bungalow and what damage may occur. I believe the bungalow is over 30 years old and suspect the tree was in situ before its building. There are no other trees in the immediate vicinity at the back but other large old trees ( not Sycamores) in the area have uprooted in recent storms. I had to wait 9 years to get a bungalow and am now wondering if I would be wise to try and move before I am unable to cope with the hard work the tree creates. Thank you. :(
sixpence

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Sycamore Tree

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi sixpence,

you make no mention of having consulted the owner?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby TO » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 pm

All trees have a 'growth limit' depending on species, location, and it's wider environment.

There are no laws governing the height of deciduous trees, at least not in England. Other home nations legislation varies.

You are far more likely to be killed in a road traffic accident than by the tree. So don't worry about that.

Subsidence damage depends on many factors, not least soil type. Unless you're on shrinkable clay there's little if any risk.

Just because a nearby tree blew over doesn't mean your tree will. Afterall it didn't.

Only you can decide what to do.
TO

Postby sixpence » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks for reply. I appreciate that I seem to be a 'what if' person and worried about what may never happen. Just because it didnt doesnt mean it wont and prevention is better than etc etc. I did speak to the landowners on what began as a friendly casual chat but it became quite hostile..not on my part. I am fairly new to the area and know they are very long established in what is a semi rural community. I was asked what problems the tree was causing me and was honest about the general labour, mess, loss of light etc. I know there have been complaints about the landowners re bonfires and they allow folks to camp on the land near where the tree is which doesnt bother me but does bother those on the other side of the fence to the campers. Again, away from them! I initially viewed the labour as exercise and fresh air and the loss of light as shade to sit in out of the sun in effort to be positive but now see it all as a nuisance. I filled my wheelie bin with leaf fall 8 times end of last autumn...and its now full of dead branches. I certainly dont want to create problems with the landowners personally but just wondered if they had any obligations to reduce the tree height/width. It seems not. :roll: Will have to save my pennies for a gardener to clear up each autumn..or request it as a xmas/birthday gift! Moving isnt on the horizon. Thanks again.
sixpence

Postby TO » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 pm

You can cut the tree back to, but not beyond, your boundary. Assuming of course it's not protected. You should offer the stuff you cut off back to the tree owner. That doesn't mean throw it back over the fence. If it does overhang you will get some relief and the cost of pruning can be off-set against the reduced cost of clearing up and the benefits of increased light attenuation.
TO

Postby despair » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 am

Sycamore trees are a total pain in the arse along with those who grown them
theres no limit on their growth and between all the seedlings and the huge leaves which take forever to rot down even when shredded
they are a complete scourge
despair

Return to Trees