Do I need planning for summer house in 2 acre plot?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Do I need planning for summer house in 2 acre plot?

Postby Sunshinep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Do I need planning permission for a summerhouse/shed in a 2-acre garden?

I have a two-acre plot, which is more long than square. It’s situated in the middle of arable farmland in Suffolk surrounded by hedges and trees. There are no close neighbours. At one end there is the entrance to the land from a B road, with a long drive up to the other end of the plot where the house is. House is not listed, the land is not protected, nor a conservation area. As far as I am aware the whole two-acre plot is designated as garden.

We wish to put a summerhouse(posh shed) in the middle of the plot, surrounded by a veggie garden. It will be about 100 meters from the road and 50 meters from the house. There are trees and hedges all around.

The summerhouse/posh shed will be smaller than needed for planning permission: 5m x 3m and 2.47m high.

I am not sure what the ‘principle elevation’ of the house is because the house is mostly hidden from view from the road. In summer its 100 percent hidden by hedges and trees, in winter 50pct hidden because no leaves on the hedges. Because the house is in a large garden, its not clear which is the front of the house and everything is a long way from the road in any case.

Do I need planning permission?
Sunshinep

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Do I need planning for summer house in 2 acre plot?

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi Sunshinep,

Speaking from ignorance, I suspect that two acres is too big to be the environs of a dwelling, there for permitted devopment will not apply.

Maybe, if you are growing vegetables, keeping goats, pigs, chickens, etc, it could be considered agricultural ... and in sore need of a shed. Maybe.

Two acres? You could keep 2000 free range hens on that.

See if you can find John Seymoours book "Self Sufficiency" on Ebay. It's an interesting read for somebody in your position. Been there, horses, donkeys, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, all in a residential garden ... and the neighbours loved them.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby Sunshinep » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:16 am

Ok cool, thanks. I'll have a look at the book too.

I have applied for pre-planning advice, so let's see what they say.
Sunshinep

Postby Janieb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 am

jonahinoz wrote:Hi Sunshinep,

Speaking from ignorance, I suspect that two acres is too big to be the environs of a dwelling, there for permitted devopment will not apply.

John W

I don't see why not. The house I grew up in stood in a 3 1/2 acre plot all laid out as garden.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am

I don't see why not. The house I grew up in stood in a 3 1/2 acre plot all laid out as garden.

Hi Janie,

I think that somebody in a suit has decreed how big a garden should be, in relation to the style of the house. I can't remember if he was a Planner, or a Tax Collector, nor why he felt the matter needed defining. Anybody?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby ukmicky » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:49 am

Is it all of it currently being used as garden or has most of it been let to grow wild.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 am

ukmicky wrote:Is it all of it currently being used as garden or has most of it been let to grow wild.
and is any of it split off - by a fence/hedge/wall/gate - from that part closest to the house which is undeniably associated with the house as its garden?
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to General Topics