Hedges on Greenbelt

Mr D

Hedges on Greenbelt

Post by Mr D » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:14 pm

I recently purchased 1/6th of an acre of Greenbelt land, I have cleared the land, erected a 2metre high fence, and laid turf on around 3/4 of the purchased land. Do I need planning permission to plant a Laurel hedge within the fence, to act as screening.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Hedges on Greenbelt

Post by MacadamB53 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Mr D wrote:I recently purchased 1/6th of an acre of Greenbelt land, I have cleared the land, erected a 2metre high fence, and laid turf on around 3/4 of the purchased land. Do I need planning permission to plant a Laurel hedge within the fence, to act as screening.
no - planning permission is only required if land is to be developed and planting a hedge is not development as far as planning law is concerned.

kind regards, Mac

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Does this vary from Council to council, is there somewhere to look up regulations regarding the Greenbelt.

Thanks

TO

Post by TO » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 am

You will need planning permission if you are changing the use of the land e.g. from agricultural to domestic garden.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:50 am

Do you need mean I need planning permission to plant the hedge, would i be better off, withdrawing planning application, leaving as Greenbelt and planting the hedge .

TO

Post by TO » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:41 pm

You do not need to get planning permission to plant the hedge. You may need planning permission for a change of use. Green belt is a planning designation not a use class. What was the land used for, e.g.; agriculture, the keeping of horses, domestic garden. If you want to change it from one use to another, e.g. agricultural to domestic garden, you will need planning permission.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:55 pm

It wasn't used as anything, it was very poor quality deciduous woodland which is greenbelt, part of my neighbours 9 acres. My planning application is to make theland part of my garden curtilage, I don't know if that means it would then change from greenbelt classification to domestic garden, any views would be appreciated.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Mr D wrote:It wasn't used as anything, it was very poor quality deciduous woodland which is greenbelt, part of my neighbours 9 acres. My planning application is to make theland part of my garden curtilage, I don't know if that means it would then change from greenbelt classification to domestic garden, any views would be appreciated.

The Surrey Wildlife Trust doesn't seem to agree. You really would be better restricting yourself to one thread.

' Surrey Wildlife Trust have commented that the woodland that I have cleared is " Identified by Natural England as a Habitat of Principal Importance for the purpose of conserving biodiversity in England" , does this make any difference, I did not know any of this before I cleared the land.'
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Apologies I will do.

TO

Post by TO » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:55 pm

More interesting by the hour.

You have bought an area of lowland mixed deciduous woodland which you have cleared. I guess it wasn't TPO'd or in a conservation area or we'd be having a different conversation. I take it you didn't need a felling licence either. You have put in an application for a change of use to domestic garden. You can plant your hedge, it doesn't need permission no matter what the outcome of your planning application.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Correct, not enough wood for a felling license, it is Identified by Natural England as a Habitat of Principal Importance for the purpose of conserving biodiversity in England, does this make any difference, all I want to do is plant a hedge, which is evergreen, maybe create a natural pond and also plant some more trees, but be free to plant the trees of my choice.

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 pm

Mr D wrote:Correct, not enough wood for a felling license, it is Identified by Natural England as a Habitat of Principal Importance for the purpose of conserving biodiversity in England, does this make any difference, all I want to do is plant a hedge, which is evergreen, maybe create a natural pond and also plant some more trees, but be free to plant the trees of my choice.
This will make any planning application for change of use a lot harder.

Have you checked http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... -21416.xls for what species are in your habitat. As lowland deciduous then it could be the pipistrelle bat which may not be good news for you if you have destroyed their habitat

APC
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by APC » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 pm

Have you thought about alternative species to laurel? You might as well paint fence panels snot green. If you want evergreen, why not holly? You could achieve decent screening with a double row of hornbeam or beech. Anything but cheap, manky and sterile laurel. It's only redeeming factor is the marzipan smell it gives off when it goes the chipper (although that's cyanide).