neighbour pushing into garden

xenonn

neighbour pushing into garden

Post by xenonn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi
My next door neighbour is one of these people that advertise themselves as a builder/joiner/plumber/electrician so on...
He has recently built a balcony in his garden which over hangs his fence into our garden but im not too fussed about this as the area below is just a few brambles, also this year he has knocked his kitchen wall down which faces and acts as the side of my garden, he has rebuilt the wall with block and placed a new roof where the guttering overhangs the garden by half a foot and he has now moved his boiler onto this wall in the kitchen and now I have a vent pipe above my head when I stand near the wall and a copper drain pipe for it that now drains into our garden.
The building is listed and i have confronted the owner but no luck

can he place a boiler vent and drain into our garden?

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Re: neighbour pushing into garden

Post by IdefixUK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:08 pm

xenonn wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:36 pm
Hi

He has recently built a balcony in his garden which over hangs his fence into our garden.

can he place a boiler vent and drain into our garden?
The first point is that he should have obtained consent to alter anything on or within the curtilage of a listed building.(planning matter)
Secondly anything which overhangs the boundary is a trespass against your property. (Civil matter).
Thirdly the building regulations about the new boiler would prevent the flu from being close to the boundary with a neighbour, you should inform the building control officer of your council about this as your neighbour has probably "signed it off" as compliant himself. (Building regs laws).
The condensate soak away (and the flu of the boiler) should not be on your land as that is trespass also.(civil matter).

Act sooner rather than later if you are going to. Take photos.

Regards

xenonn

Post by xenonn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks for the good advice I will contact these and take photos

Thankyou

SwitchRich

Post by SwitchRich » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:30 am

If you feel like it do post them here too as it always helps tell your story.
And keep us updated there are many good people here that can help you with any battles you get into.

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Raise the issue of the trespassing flue and Pressure Relief discharge with Gas Safe and Building Control. Both should be able to look and/or advise FOC, and even order it be moved if deemed necessary. If its a new installation it will be unlikely to comply with regs and therefore action can/will be taken. The PRV can emit steam and/or boiling water under fault conditions and should always be appropriately terminated. A Flue should never discharge over a neighbouring property!

If you need more advice from the experts, ask in the Plumbing Forum at www.diynot.com/diy/

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi,

Fast forward into the unforseeable future, when you want to sell your house. A potential purchaser may look sideways at these incursions, and either walk away, or push you to sort it out ... and then walk away ... or make a silly offer.

Alternatively, your neighbour may sell, with the buyer expecting to have bought what he saw, and bvecoming miffed when he finds he hasn't.

If you have a mortgage, your lender might not be happy with the current arrangement.

John nW