Gigantic bamboo on property boundaries

Cedar

Gigantic bamboo on property boundaries

Post by Cedar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 am

Hello everyone! Could you please help!
We have a problem with neighbors’ gigantic (6-7m high) bamboo “hedge”, planted a few years ago along our garden fence.
All the dry leafs and other rubbish, it constantly shreds, fly into our garden and cover all the ground and our plants and trees. The garden looks very untidy soon as our gardener cleans it up, which is not easy, as the leaves are everywhere and it takes lots of time for him to tidy the ground reasonably well, especially between the shrubs and trees, just to see it covered in all this mess a couple of hours later again. We are so upset and frustrated to have this problem all year round, which stops us to even look at that part of our garden, let alone enjoy it. Our plants are also suffering of moisture deprivation and look unsightly. Half of our gardener visit we pay just to clean all this mess up. We are thinking to put the house on the market in a few years time, but think this issue will effect the value of our property or/and will drive the buyers away.
We don’t know what we can do to solve this nuisance in most civilised manner, as our Arab neighbours are very difficult to deal with. We’ve tried to talk to them about a few ongoing issues before, but my husband is reluctant to repeat the experience anymore.
Could you please help us with your advice, what is the best way to resolve this problem. Many thanks

silverbirch89

Re: Gigantic bamboo on property boundaries

Post by silverbirch89 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi Cedar

I'm new to posting, but have been a lurker on here a while.

I can only offer you a perspective from the other side...

I have suffered for years with a lack of privacy from our adjoining neighbour (semi-detached) as our houses are on a hill, and as a result our back doors are approx. 6ft off the ground. This means that any fence put up (to the max 2m height) is still a good 6ft short of providing privacy. When taking this into account, and the current law regarding hedges, fence heights, etc etc etc, bamboo is literally the only cost-effective way to achieve this. Having now grown bamboo for a year, as a privacy hedge, I'm familiar with its habits. I'm sorry to say, you have virtually no chance of enacting anything here. The fact that it's basically just giant grass means it is exempt from the high hedges legislation, and unless its roots are encroaching or damaging your property, you can only cut back culms to your boundary - but as bamboo largely is an erect plant, you won't be able to reach in and just hack away, only the bits that encroach.

Bamboo is also quite a tough plant to effectively prune - once cut, the culms don't regrow, so if your neighbour took a hedge trimmer to it, you'd end up with a right mess. It needs careful thinning out of old growth, and year-on-year the new culms in the spring will add height to it.

The leaves are shed periodically, as opposed to deciduous trees shedding in autumn, and unfortunately there isn't a law against plant materials being shed.

If I were in your position, and the neighbours will not enter into any discussion or agreement about cutting the hedge, then I would be sorely tempted to plant bamboo of my own tight up against theirs, allow it to flourish (and all the debris can simply be swept under your bamboo where it forms a vital mulch) and enjoy a stunning bamboo grove. Once yours gains some height, it will start to shade out the lower growth of theirs, and you'll get less debris, as it will fall into the undergrowth.

And you'll never have any privacy concerns with your neighbours!!

silverbirch89

Post by silverbirch89 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Also, just to add - if bamboo gets plenty of food and drink, it grows like nothing else.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Everyone has the right to use their land as they wish right up to the boundary, this applies to you and your neighbours. Bamboo is often grown for privacy and to avoid the high hedge legislation since it is actually classified as a grass.

You have the right to remove whatever encroaches onto your property but should not touch what is growing within his boundary.

Other than asking nicely for what you would like him to do, there is nothing you can do. He has the right to grow bamboo on land he owns.

One option is to put up a big fence right on the boundary (complying with planning rules of course).

despair

Post by despair » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Given that the neighbours refuse to enter into reasonable discussion i would be sorely tempted to tip all the rubbish the bambbo creates straight back over the fence to the neighbour

Not the best way to behave but then neither is the neighbours current attitude

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm

There is a big difference between refusing to discuss and the criminal act of fly tipping.

Are you really advocating OP breaking the law

despair

Post by despair » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:43 pm

No ...but plenty of neighbours do fly tip
Can you honestly see the police doing anything

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 pm

despair wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:43 pm
...but plenty of neighbours do fly tip

I don't think so - unless they're getting bad advice from somewhere..............
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Eliza

Post by Eliza » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 am

Surely not "flytipping" - just a case of putting THEIR property back onto THEIR land.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 am

Eliza wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 am
Surely not "flytipping" - just a case of putting THEIR property back onto THEIR land.

No - you're wrong.
arborlad

APC
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by APC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:47 pm

arborlad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 am
Eliza wrote:

No - you're wrong.
Has anyone ever got successful recompense for this sort of issue?

despair

Post by despair » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 pm

There are still plenty of people who believe they are fully entitled to return every tiny shred that dares to cross a boundary

Just as theres tree surgeons who leave a bloody awful mess on the neighbours side and refuse to come and clear it up

I wish the police would vlass either as fly tipping but they refuse to

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:04 pm

APC wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:47 pm
arborlad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 am
Eliza wrote:

No - you're wrong.
Has anyone ever got successful recompense for this sort of issue?

Not sure which way you are approaching this from, there is no law to prevent leaves and other natural debris from falling onto someone elses land. If you throw a mustard seed over the boundary, the law considers it a trespass, so there is law against what is being advised.
arborlad

Roblewis
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Roblewis » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:18 pm

The police do not enforce any matters concerned with fly tipping - this is environmental legislation enforceable by the LA and the Environment Agency

despair

Post by despair » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Can assure you no councils Environmental Dept is in least interested in piggin awful neighbours throwing arisings onto anothers land
Neither are they concerned when tree surgeons are too darn mean and lazy to clear up the mess they make on a neighbours land