Landowner rights to opt out of Permit Parking Scheme.

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Permitbay

Re: Landowner rights to opt out of Permit Parking Scheme.

Post by Permitbay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Yes, I do have a receipt and a pictures of the cones which were bought from Ebay!

I am awaiting the response from the council regarding this issue, but if I am not satisfied with their response and if they are not returned I will be filing a police report.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Permitbay wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Should the landowner not have say in who is permitted to park on their land regardless of arbitrary designation, ..................

Presumably - that is what you used the cones for.................
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Permitbay

Post by Permitbay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Yes, twice a week when we come home from work at school finish time and cannot get near our house.

The cones were never placed on the roadway, but were at the very edge of our pavement (paid for by us at a cost of £4,000 last year)and positioned such that they were not obstructing anyone actually parking, or using the pavement (it is a wide pavement) but were there purely to act as a deterrent. Which, unlike the parking bays which the parents ignore, actually worked.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Permitbay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 pm
Yes, I do have a receipt and a pictures of the cones which were bought from Ebay!

I am awaiting the response from the council regarding this issue, but if I am not satisfied with their response and if they are not returned I will be filing a police report.
Ooh please!! :roll:
:roll: eBay that prestigious legitimate supplier of traffic cones! £4000 :shock: you were seriously robbed....daylight robbery!

The police have serious crimes to deal with.
You will need to specify the person who took them and the witness who can identify that person.(perhaps you would like an e-fit team deployed?)
The police will then determine whether it is in the public interest and value for taxpayers money to pursue the matter of the missing 4 traffic cones bought from eBay (I'd also keep your fingers crossed they were legitimately purchased by the eBay seller and are not suspected stolen property otherwise you may find that this matter just gets worse and worse for you......)
Last edited by mr sheen on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Permitbay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:11 pm

The cones were never placed on the roadway, but were at the very edge of our pavement..............

......................so still obstructing the highway!
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Permitbay

Post by Permitbay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:30 pm

mr sheen wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:18 pm
Permitbay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Ooh please!! :roll:
:roll: eBay that prestigious legitimate supplier of traffic cones! £4000 :shock: you were seriously robbed....daylight robbery!

The police have serious crimes to deal with.
You will need to specify the person who took them and the witness who can identify that person.
The police will then determine whether it is in the public interest and value for taxpayers money to pursue the matter of the missing 4 traffic cones bought from eBay (I'd also keep your fingers crossed they were legitimately purchased by the eBay seller and are not suspected stolen property otherwise you may find that this matter just gets worse and worse for you......)
No, the flagging to the pavement cost £4000, the cones were £30!! They were also bought from a legitimate supplier.

Permitbay

Post by Permitbay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:31 pm

arborlad wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:26 pm
Permitbay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:11 pm

The cones were never placed on the roadway, but were at the very edge of our pavement..............

......................so still obstructing the highway!
No, they were on the pavement, not the highway. There is a clear differentiation on our deeds.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:34 pm

people pass and repass on the footpath and hence cones in the footpath were causing an obstruction and hence the council had the right to remove a them from this public area controlled by the council.

Permitbay

Post by Permitbay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:46 pm

The cones were not obstructing the pavement in any way. Four people could still walk abreast when they were in situ. They were positioned at the very edge of the pavement on the curb, not on the flagged portion.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm sorry that you don't seem to be getting the legal reality of the situation.
You can ask nicely for the council to return your £30 cones and maybe they will who knows?
You will probably be labelled a neighbourhood nutter if you contact the police wanting them to investigate the disappearance of 4 cones from the footpath.

Time to get over the fact that the council control the roadway and live your life.

Permitbay

Post by Permitbay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:13 pm

It really isn't about who owns/controls what.

It is about holding the council to account for residents paying for a service which:

1. Did not/does not meet their own criteria for having a permit parking scheme in place.
2. Is not regularly policed, so, therefore, the council are taking monies for a service which is not fit for purpose, they have admitted this in writing and throw the onus back onto the contractors they employ. In turn, the contractors say they don't have resources to up their patrols.

In view of the above, we just want out. Let the parents park there for 20 mins per day.

Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:31 pm

Permitbay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:31 pm

No, they were on the pavement, not the highway.

The pavement is part of the highway, I think?

Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Permitbay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:13 pm
therefore, the council are taking monies for a service which is not fit for purpose,
I didn't read in your original post that the council make a charge to those who subscribed to the scheme. It can't be compulsory to subscribe to a parking scheme if you don't park there - what about people who don't have a car? is the charge per car or per household?

That does surely change things a bit - if you are paying specifically for this service you presumably have a contract?

Permitbay

Post by Permitbay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:29 pm

It is per car, but if any household wants to have visitors they must have a permit, even if they have no car themselves, or no one with a car can visit!

We don't have a contract, the council brought in the scheme and everyone has to pay up.

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:00 pm

Hello Permitbay,

I presume that you have talked at some length to your local ward councillor about this parking situation. Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell is the outcome of that/those conversations/communications.

Regards.