Lattis fence panels with teram added to them.

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden
Steakbake

Lattis fence panels with teram added to them.

Post by Steakbake » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi guys.
I need help here.
We went on holiday and on our return our neighbour has added a trellis to the top of a fence that I built after removing the hedge that separated us. We agreed on the height of the fence and we shared the cost of the materials. But I built it all for nothing.
This was done about 25years ago.
The fence height is 1650 to the top then he put this trellis between the slats, now it stands 1900. But when you step off my decking it's over 8feet. But still under 6 feet from his side.
It's a normal trellis with black teram and a green line running through it on all the panels. It's a mess!!!
Can he just do this without even asking my permission??
We put a letter through there door asking why this was done and if they would like to come and see it from our side then they could .& we could also discuss an alternative. But nothing!!
The neighbours on both side dont get on with these pair either.
Is it against the law to erect this after we agreed a height for the fence. Then they go and add to it with out consent.

Please help.

Thank you.

Sez

Re: Lattis fence panels with teram added to them.

Post by Sez » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am

I would suggest you arrange to speak with your neighbour and firstly ask why they felt the need to add the trellis. It would help you both to find a compromise if you can understand their issue and hopefully they will understand yours. You mentioned that from your decking the overall height of the fence with trellis added was less which may suggest that your neighbour felt they had lost some privacy in this area possibly. Even if their is tension between you both which suggests why you may have written a letter to them it is better and you are more likely to reach a positive outcome if you can arrange a mutually convenient time to speak about it.

Steakbake

Post by Steakbake » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:45 pm

My wife did a nice letter to them but still no reply.
They are actually very rude and dont care because this is twice now that stuff has been done while we have been on holiday.
Is it against the law to put trellis up or anything for that matter on a fence that's owned equally by both sides. I would think that they would need to ask our permission first before doing anything to the fence.
Thank you.
Ian

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi Steakbake,

Is it against the law to put trellis up or anything for that matter on a fence that's owned equally by both sides

no

I would think that they would need to ask our permission

you’re kinda right, but this is a rather obvious flaw in two property owners sharing a boundary feature - because if one does something like your neighbour has there’s not much the other can do.

would you need their permission to remove the trellis - that’s the question to ask...

kind regards, Mac

Steakbake

Post by Steakbake » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks Mac

So do I need there permission to remove it even though they own the trellis but have put it on a fence that is equally owned.
The thing is, it's not just trellis because he has attached a black teram to the back of it so when I walk out my back door it looks horrible almost bin bag like stuck to the top of the fence.
Wish i could upload pictures here.
So is it worth while sending them a lawyers letter asking for it to be removed as they haven't bothered to come and see me to come to some sort of agreement or compromise for an alternative.

Thank u.

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi Steakbake,

I’d always go speak in person - unless I knew my life would be in danger.

kind regards, Mac

Steakbake

Post by Steakbake » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Na mate, there just annoying retired people that have upset both sets of neighbours and think they are above the law. Hence I need something concrete to go on so I can then get a lawyers letter to them if they dont come and see us to discuss it.

Thanks.

Has anyone else got anything they can help me with.

Steakbake

Post by Steakbake » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 am

Can anyone please tell me for sure what I can do to get this removed.
No permission asked for so are they allowed to just add to a shared fence.
Will a lawyer know better, I was hoping that someone here would know fully what I can do and put there comments down for me 🙄
Many thanks in advance
SB

SJC14

Post by SJC14 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:12 am

"The fence height is 1650 to the top then he put this trellis between the slats, now it stands 1900. But when you step off my decking it's over 8feet. But still under 6 feet from his side. "

The council would only consider anything over 2m, including a trellis, as requiring planning permission. Unless you can prove that the trellis is wholly encroaching on your side of the boundary and causes substantial interference (it is likely to fall off and damage your property or fence) then you have very little come back. You just have to live with it or disguise it was plants and shrubs.

Steakbake

Post by Steakbake » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:55 pm

So how does that work then??
It's a shared fence and they haven't asked my permission to add extra height too it, so we jointly own half of what he has atatched it too and I don't want it there.
We have written to them to come to some compromise and nothing!!!

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:58 am

hi stakebake

can I just ask how long in relation to your decking being installed did they put up the trellis. if I get what you have said previously they were happy for a long time with the height before, has anything changed in the way you use your garden,for example a trampoline or you using the area more socially now the decking is in place. I understand that neighbours who are retired can sometimes be a little more pernickety about noise or changes, as when your in full time work you often dont have the chance to focus on the smaller things. In one of my houses years ago my neighbours installed decking and I completely lost my privacy in my kitchen. I am not being accusatory with you,its just there is always two sides.
kind regards
Liveinpeace.

Steakbake

Post by Steakbake » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi Leaveinpeace

The decking was installed not long after the fence went up so about 14years ago. Then 6 years ago we added a small extension but not going out any further than the porch that was there just to make the kitchen larger. Decking was renewed but height stayed the same because all the floor height were the same.
My oldest sons friends were over 6 ft tall but the odd time they used to walk in they said that they looked over. But we asked and they said no they didnt and wouldnt!!
All this said tho, we agreed on the height of the fence at the time and nothing has change.

My main point is, are the allowed to add this horrible thing to the top of the fence without my consent.
They will have the kris cross design on there side where I have a foot of black teram to look at on top of the fence with staggered green lines running through it.

They really are horrible people.

I was even out clearing the snow from the drive and piled it up either side of the drive at the bottom. No where near there drive as there drive is at the other end of the house, so the snow was on the main road. He decided to come out and start throwing it back up my drive. But my wife came back from dropping the kids off at school and caught him. Well, can I tell u this. It's a good job it wasnt me that caught him. My wife said she had felt with it so just leave it. 😖😖😖😖

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 am

hi steakbake not stakebake as i previously put!

It is a very strange thing to do to put the black membrane on the top.I do get what you are saying about how ugly it must look, I know you have said that they are unpleasant but you seem quite a reasonable person,would it not be possible to either talk to him (taking deep breaths and remaining zen like on the inside) show him how bad it looks on your side, come up with something like another lattice on your side,maybe even with reed in between to obscure it completely. kill him with kindness and by being excruciatingly pleasant. I often enjoy this approach with people who are unreasonable as they often dont know how to deal with someone who doesnt give them the argument they so desire. there are so many horrible massive boundary disputes on this forum,i am sure you could sort this one out.

Steakbake

Post by Steakbake » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:14 am

As I said in the previous post, my wife wrote to them week ago now but no reply what so ever. Just totally unreasonable people and we have had enough. So we are going to a lawyers tomorrow for some answers. We may need referred to a lawyer that deals with this kinda thing within the branch or out with.
But it has totally scunnered us.

I just assumed someone on here Would know exactly what to do, I just assumed that there was actually some lawyer friends on board these chats to help out. Seems there isn't and not been much help at all. But I thank you all for your kind suggestions etc.

All the best.
Ian

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:28 am

Hi Steakbake,

are you in Scotland?

kind regards, Mac