Specificity in lease wording and non compliance

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support
mr sheen

Specificity in lease wording and non compliance

Post by mr sheen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:06 pm

Would be grateful for opinions from fellow contributors regarding exact wording in lease and ability to enforce non-compliance due to current issue I am dealing with.....

Wording in lease is...
« Not to permit any laundry to be hung or exposed from the premises. »

Opinions please....fully aware that a Judge would ultimately have to decide but...would it be considered reasonable to interpret this as drying laundry in an exposed place is prohibited? Or...

Reasonably interpreted that drying laundry on a balcony Is prohibited and will be considered a breach of the lease?

only reasonably interpreted literally that laundry cannot be ‘hung’ such that it is exposed....and laundry must not be visible from outside the premises?

All opinions welcome. Thanks

mugwump

Re: Specificity in lease wording and non compliance

Post by mugwump » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:11 pm

My opinion is that it means
Reasonably interpreted that drying laundry on a balcony Is prohibited and will be considered a breach of the lease?
I think the intention is that no laundry should be visible externally.

arborlad

Re: Specificity in lease wording and non compliance

Post by arborlad » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:17 pm

mr sheen wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:06 pm
Would be grateful for opinions from fellow contributors regarding exact wording in lease and ability to enforce non-compliance due to current issue I am dealing with.....

Wording in lease is...
« Not to permit any laundry to be hung or exposed from the premises. »

Opinions please....fully aware that a Judge would ultimately have to decide but...would it be considered reasonable to interpret this as drying laundry in an exposed place is prohibited? Or...

only reasonably interpreted literally that laundry cannot be ‘hung’ such that it is exposed....and laundry must not be visible from outside the premises?

All opinions welcome. Thanks

Is this for real - you claim to have your own legal team working for you!
arborlad

smile...it confuses people