Gabion basket wall infront of failing retaining wall

Jj4321
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 3

Gabion basket wall infront of failing retaining wall

Post by Jj4321 »

Hello all.

Is it possible to erect a gabion wall in front of failing retaining wall. My neighbor is in discussion with an engineer who is suggesting it is fine. Yet my engineer states the wall needs to be removed and rebuilt.
The wall has not collapsed or crumbling but is has split into sections and is leaning massively at around 70 degree.
despair

Re: Gabion basket wall infront of failing retaining wall

Post by despair »

Whose land do they propose building the Gabion wall on ?

Theirs or yours ?

Whose land is the retaining wall leaning onto ?
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

I suspect you need to find a site devoted to advice re engineering. Not sure what this has to do with the law. Any wall, provided it does not border a highway, can be up to 2m tall without the need to apply for planning permission.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

Collaborate wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:36 pm I suspect you need to find a site devoted to advice re engineering. Not sure what this has to do with the law. Any wall, provided it does not border a highway, can be up to 2m tall without the need to apply for planning permission.
+1, good luck
cleo5

Post by cleo5 »

Wall is either old or badly built in first .
place. I would go with your engineers advice to rebuild rather than neighbour's and gabions.
Nasty ugly things until they are covered in plants and mosses.
Why would gabions hold a falling wall up?

I have twice experienced failed retaining walls...once within six months of buying a new build. They need drainage holes and double width of wall on sound foundations. Get several quotes and share cost with neighbour.
Employ a good, eerienced workman and get him to remove damaged section of wall and rebuild to blend in with good part of wall if possible. Failing that demolish all and rebuild whole..
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

MacadamB53 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:21 pm
Collaborate wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:36 pm I suspect you need to find a site devoted to advice re engineering. Not sure what this has to do with the law. Any wall, provided it does not border a highway, can be up to 2m tall without the need to apply for planning permission.
+1, good luck

This a duplicate thread - you have contributed to the other one!

On a Forum that deals with walls, free standing and retaining, boundaries and gabions etc. on a regular basis - this has to qualify as the weirdest of comments..............
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

arborlad wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:01 am
MacadamB53 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:21 pm
+1, good luck

This a duplicate thread - you have contributed to the other one!

On a Forum that deals with walls, free standing and retaining, boundaries and gabions etc. on a regular basis - this has to qualify as the weirdest of comments..............
you must have an atypical appreciation of “weird” if you think the above is the “weirdest of comments”

btw, the “duplicate” thread concerns how to deal with an old boundary feature of unknown ownership when neither party is keen to assume ownership, whereas this thread concerns an old boundary feature of unconfirmed ownership being dealt with by one party in a way that isn’t to the liking of the other - so I’ve responded appropriately on both