Advice regards to wall drilling without consent

locke11

Advice regards to wall drilling without consent

Post by locke11 »

birdbox 0011.jpg
I live in a semi detached house. My house boundary ends at the black arrow shown in the photo. My neighbours house has the front door in the photo.
My neighbours house is recessed, so the corner wall of my house extends back and joins the wall to the left of the front door in the photo.
On several occasions my neighbour has drilled into the corner wall of my house without consent. This past weekend he has attached a bird box to the corner of my house, shown to the right of the black arrow in the photo.
I have made it clear to him previously I am not happy about him drilling without consent and that there are gas pipes on the inside of the wall. The circular silver vent is for my gas boiler. My gas boiler is fixed to the interior surface of the wall and the associated gas pipework is located inside the wall directly behind the birdbox and extends further down the wall along with gas cooker pipework.
I am not entirely sure on the best action and would appreciate any advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Advice regards to wall drilling without consent

Post by Collaborate »

You would be within your rights to engage in a little trespass, armed with a screw, and remove their birdbox and anything else they have fixed to your wall. I presume that the deeds are clear that this is your wall. If however it is all a party wall then they can drill what they like in to the wall.
span

Post by span »

Don't forget your tub of Pollyfill to make good the holes too.

By the by, where does that white capped black pipe come from and go to, and what does it do?
despair

Post by despair »

Looks like thats the gas boiler vent ...if it is its illegal from all that i understand about such things from my gas fitter
Viking272

Post by Viking272 »

The silver circle is the boiler flue (as OP stated), can't see a white capped black pipe? There is a small white (overflow?) pipe above the bird box.
TumbleWeed

Post by TumbleWeed »

Viking272 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:17 pm The silver circle is the boiler flue (as OP stated), can't see a white capped black pipe? There is a small white (overflow?) pipe above the bird box.
The white capped thingy is just above the point of the arrow on the photo.

You could get a cat! That bird box isn't going to appeal with a moggy pacing underneath it.
mr rusty

Post by mr rusty »

I say stop being so precious! - the wall is a cavity wall. The fixings for the birdbox will go part-way through the outer leaf. The gas pipes won't be in the cavity. If that is your overflow by the birdbox arguably it trespasses over their land, if the outer surface of the wall is the boundary. Much more likely is that the wall is a party wall, and the boundary is the cavity, in which case arguably that bit of wall is theirs not yours.

Whatever, it isn't worth a dispute, - it really isn't - especially as it appears they could technically be in the right. What would you do? go legal? seek damages? If you choose to live in an attached property you have to accept some grey areas on boundaries. Anything else is madness.