Retaining Wall that is not a boundary

drumcode

Retaining Wall that is not a boundary

Post by drumcode »

Hi all,

I'm new here - thanks for having me!

I've already found some interesting bits in this forum but my situation is slightly different in that the retaining wall is entirely on my land (by just under 2 metres, filled with soil behind).

Do I have any responsibility towards my neighbour if the wall is entirely on my land, i.e. when the retaining wall is not technically a boundary wall?

I own the lower lying property. My property was built in the 1970s, my neighbour’s decades earlier (but he’s not lived here much longer than me, i.e. less than 10 years). We have no idea what our gardens looked like before, so I can't tell whether my land was excavated to provide a lower but level area, or whether my neighbour's land was raised at some point in the past.

I want to get this sorted without being taken to court but there seems to be the presumption that I'm solely responsible for the retaining wall as well as any damage to my neighbour's patio.

I'll hopefully get hold of my deed next week and would really appreciate any tips you may have.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Retaining Wall that is not a boundary

Post by MacadamB53 »

hi drumcode,

just to clarify, you’re saying the boundary lies c2m beyond the retaining wall? is there a boundary feature - ie a fence/hedge/wall?

kind regards, Mac
drumcode

Post by drumcode »

Hey Marc,

apparently I'll be able to post a photo after my 3rd post (I'll nevertheless try now and see if that works).

The retaining wall is on my land and there's almost 2m to the boundary. I regard my neighbour's fence as the boundary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
despair

Post by despair »

Well its obvious from your photo that your wall is parting company so problems are there niw

You are going to need to get ancient arueal photos , ask other neighbours for history

You also need to fathom what the neighbour has done to put pressure on your wall

Unless you asidiously water that Hydrangea its found a water supply somewhere