Neighbours chimney damp - responsibilities

chaoticj
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 30

Neighbours chimney damp - responsibilities

Post by chaoticj »

Hello, could someone please advise on chimneys and flashings?

We are an end terrace and the neighbours chimney is damp. Some of my paint in the storage room under the area is coming off and plaster bubbling. Also damp in their loft.

I'm told by a roofer the flashings are OK? but the pointing definitely needs attention. The chimney serves only the neighbours property.

Is it correct that the flashings on my side as they are flashing my roof are mine/my responsibility? But the chimney structure itself is theirs?

The last property I owned - a mid terrace, when a piece of flashing on our side of the neighbours chimney needed attention the neighbour paid - nobody said it was our responsibility?

Just would like to suss out what's what as I think the flashings look awful and may be having a number of roofing works carried out soon anyway. So may wish to have it done too.

Thank you.
ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Neighbours chimney damp - responsibilities

Post by ukmicky »

Picture please
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
chaoticj

Post by chaoticj »

Hi @ukmicky here is a picture, the neighbours chimney is the one with a red arrow pointing to it, thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chaoticj

Post by chaoticj »

Here is a picture of the chimney closer up and flashing/pointing on our side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.