Pleached trees next to wall

ragman

Pleached trees next to wall

Post by ragman »

Hi,
I have a boundary wall which I own ( albeit my neighbour disagrees but hey Ho).
The wall is 6 feet high and currently has Russian vine growing above it which on my neighbours side. This is about 2 feet above the wall.
A lot of houses around our way (SE London) have planted Pleached trees ( trees in a frame work with a single stem) against their fences/walls to raise the height of the boundary screen. I would guess the trees are about 4 feet above the top of the fence line.
This is exactly what I want to do but I want to understand more about the legalities before I invest thousands of pounds on trees.
How is this allowed given the 6 feet (2 metre) boundary fence/wall limits?
Do the trees need to be a certain distance from the wall?
The wall is in our rear garden and so no highway consideration is required.
Thanks in advance
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Pleached trees next to wall

Post by MacadamB53 »

ragman wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:35 am Hi,
I have a boundary wall which I own ( albeit my neighbour disagrees but hey Ho).
The wall is 6 feet high and currently has Russian vine growing above it which on my neighbours side. This is about 2 feet above the wall.
A lot of houses around our way (SE London) have planted Pleached trees ( trees in a frame work with a single stem) against their fences/walls to raise the height of the boundary screen. I would guess the trees are about 4 feet above the top of the fence line.
This is exactly what I want to do but I want to understand more about the legalities before I invest thousands of pounds on trees.
How is this allowed given the 6 feet (2 metre) boundary fence/wall limits?
Do the trees need to be a certain distance from the wall?
The wall is in our rear garden and so no highway consideration is required.
Thanks in advance
trees (plants) on their own are not a planning concern

no legalities to consider - beyond not allowing the trees to cause damage
vuego100

Post by vuego100 »

If it's going to grow into a hedge rather than a few individual trees plant Beech or hornbeam so they won't come under the high hedges legislation. ;-)
despair

Post by despair »

If the wall is truly yours your neighbour has no right to grow Russian vine up it and pleached trees will rapidly be overtaken by the pesky plant