I want to make a small hobby garden

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world
katiejohnson
Number of Posts per Page: 3
Number of topics per page: 3

I want to make a small hobby garden

Post by katiejohnson »

My backyard is about 40 square meters in size. I want to make a small hobby garden with bamboo poles in this garden. Of course, I will plant bamboo seeds in this hobby garden. Where do you think I should start?

I want to do something like...

andy bonsai

Re: I want to make a small hobby garden

Post by andy bonsai »

you are best keeping the bamboo in containers, because their roots spread all over the garden once established and can damage underground sewage pipes and even footings. sorry to put a dampner on it
rockheart

Re: I want to make a small hobby garden

Post by rockheart »

It might be worth looking into clumping types rather than running types. Clumping bamboo is less aggressive and easier to control. And make sure you have the right species because different types need different conditions. Fargesia is suitable for the UK's climate, so I recommend getting that.
For the aesthetic part, hanging planters from some of the bamboo poles can create a lovely vertical gardening element. You can adorn the poles with ivy or climbing plants as well. A little water feature, like a tabletop fountain, could add a sense of tranquility. And since you're going for that natural, earthy aesthetic, consider adding a rattan dining set. I've seen this type of furniture in other bamboo gardens - perfect for enjoying a meal or a cup of coffee in the midst of your greenery. If you enjoy a bit of evening ambiance, string lights or solar-powered lanterns can create a soft glow that can make the garden feel magical at night.