Moving house and fence damage

Sc8880
Number of Posts per Page: 15
Number of topics per page: 15

Moving house and fence damage

Post by Sc8880 »

Hello all. I'm going through the conveyancing process now and buying/selling. The house I'm buying as a damaged fence along the left side when looking out from the house to the garden, and along the rear. A panel along the rear has come away from a fence post which is in (what will be) our side of thr garden, so that's okay. The fence along the left though is heavily leaning into (what will be) our patio area. The survey has flagged that the damage is the result of a shrub on the neighbour's side pushing against it.

What's the best way to get this fixed? Should we raise it with our solicitor now and ask our seller to flag it to the neighbour as something we'd like to get sorted upon moving in, or just leave it and sort it once we're there? We think it may be a rental property owned by a landlord, and we're also buying a former rental property, so there's a high chance our seller doesn't know the neighbour/the landlord who owns the property.
mr sheen

Re: Moving house and fence damage

Post by mr sheen »

You are in the brilliant position that you have not yet purchased the property. You have identified some issues that may cause you problems or even disputes in the future. So you have choices….
Only you can decide how much of a deal-breaker the issues you describe are and the amount of potential future hassle you are willing to accept to buy the property.

You can choose to carry on and complete the purchase as is, and risk issues with the neighbours….or….you can choose to request the issues are sorted before you proceed any further with the purchase and accept the seller may pull out…or….if they are a deal breaker for you, you can withdraw and go and look for something else.

Whichever you choose, it has been your choice and hence the outcome and consequences of whichever decision you make are 100% yours. No-one else can make this decision for you.
Janieb

Post by Janieb »

My (long-standing) neighbour sold her house a couple of years ago. Whilst it was up for sale there was a bad storm that blew a tree in my garden into the fence. Her buyers refused to complete before the tree was removed and the fence repaired. Myself and the neighbour collaborated on sorting the problem out. It’s my fence, so it was my problem really.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Sc8880 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:50 am Hello all. I'm going through the conveyancing process now and buying/selling. The house I'm buying as a damaged fence along the left side when looking out from the house to the garden, and along the rear. A panel along the rear has come away from a fence post which is in (what will be) our side of thr garden, so that's okay. The fence along the left though is heavily leaning into (what will be) our patio area. The survey has flagged that the damage is the result of a shrub on the neighbour's side pushing against it.

What's the best way to get this fixed? Should we raise it with our solicitor now and ask our seller to flag it to the neighbour as something we'd like to get sorted upon moving in, or just leave it and sort it once we're there? We think it may be a rental property owned by a landlord, and we're also buying a former rental property, so there's a high chance our seller doesn't know the neighbour/the landlord who owns the property.

Try and get your solicitor to find out who owns what in terms of fences - panels are too anonymous for the purpose.

Nothing you've described would be a bar to purchasing this property, if you're able to DIY, it could be done for a few 10s of pounds, if you're having to employ someone a hundred or two plus materials.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people