Right to light to WC window and tree

treetime

Right to light to WC window and tree

Post by treetime »

Hi, I'm planning on putting in a deciduous tree and deciduous planting 1.5m away from a neighbour's WC window that would block a fair amount of their light. The high hedge law wouldn't be relevant but would the right to light law require me to cut the tree down? The rooms would still get light but not as much as before.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Right to light to WC window and tree

Post by MacadamB53 »

treetime wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:06 pm Hi, I'm planning on putting in a deciduous tree and deciduous planting 1.5m away from a neighbour's WC window that would block a fair amount of their light. The high hedge law wouldn't be relevant but would the right to light law require me to cut the tree down? The rooms would still get light but not as much as before.
unless you plan on planting a mature specimen, it’s really not worth worrying about
Paddock

Post by Paddock »

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe 'right to light' rules only apply to other buildings not trees or shrubs.

It will probably annoy them though, so consider any consequences or counterfire possibilities ....

Paddock
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

A right to light does not only prevent buildings depriving neighbouring land of light.

See this explanation: https://arcbuildingconsultancy.co.uk/la ... to%20light.
Paddock

Post by Paddock »

I suppose the issue is that any opaque , man made structure would definitely block light immidiately. Whereas a slow growing deciduos tree doesnt. I couldnt see where there is a calculation about light loss and at what point it is actionable.

Sound, for example, has clear parameters for the amount of extra noise that becomes a nuisance.

Paddock
MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 »

Paddock wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 am I suppose the issue is that any opaque , man made structure would definitely block light immidiately. Whereas a slow growing deciduos tree doesnt. I couldnt see where there is a calculation about light loss and at what point it is actionable.

Sound, for example, has clear parameters for the amount of extra noise that becomes a nuisance.

Paddock
it becomes actionable when there’s been a 50% loss in the level of light that had been enjoyed - so for OP that might not be for at least a decade or two.
Paddock

Post by Paddock »

MacadamB53 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:39 pm
Paddock wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 am I suppose the issue is that any opaque , man made structure would definitely block light immidiately. Whereas a slow growing deciduos tree doesnt. I couldnt see where there is a calculation about light loss and at what point it is actionable.

Paddock
it becomes actionable when there’s been a 50% loss in the level of light that had been enjoyed - so for OP that might not be for at least a decade or two.
High hedge rules only apply to evergreen trees/hedges. Would Right to Light rules be the same? over winter with no foilage trees/hedges dont block much light. Certainly not 50%.
CherryBlack

Post by CherryBlack »

TreeTime, what is the purpose of this tree? Is it to hide an ugly building and window, to give a sense of privacy, and a nice green backdrop?
If so - and that's understandable - would it be worth looking at more frondy plants and trees, with lighter, dappled foliage, so that it provides the required effect, but doesn't fully shield, and hence cut the light right down? Since their window is opaque, privacy ain't an issue, I presume?
A clumping bamboo, for example, could be ideal. If it becomes too dense, just cut away the required stalks at its base. Or any other evergreen, but just keep it 'copsed'.
treetime

Post by treetime »

Thanks all - yes the windows are opaque non habitable rooms, WCs and a garage, that used to have large shrubs infront of them, which I now want to replace with taller trees although the light entering the rooms would be about the same. I want to block out an ugly side extension which is mostly brick with a few small windows, and I'm worried about right to light. I'd probably go with deciduous trees so as not to invoke the high hedges law as my neighbour seems very litigious. Dappled light would enter their windows which should be fine I guess. I've just not done this before and reading online is hard to get to grips with right to light claims from vegetation as it seems to be mostly focused on buildings, which is encouraging.
MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 »

treetime wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm Thanks all - yes the windows are opaque non habitable rooms, WCs and a garage, that used to have large shrubs infront of them, which I now want to replace with taller trees although the light entering the rooms would be about the same. I want to block out an ugly side extension which is mostly brick with a few small windows, and I'm worried about right to light. I'd probably go with deciduous trees so as not to invoke the high hedges law as my neighbour seems very litigious. Dappled light would enter their windows which should be fine I guess. I've just not done this before and reading online is hard to get to grips with right to light claims from vegetation as it seems to be mostly focused on buildings, which is encouraging.
fyi, the bits I’ve underlined are irrelevant