Planning application for high trellis - advice

treetime

Planning application for high trellis - advice

Post by treetime »

Hi, I want to screen the house behind me with a 2m trellis on top of a 2m new wall that I built at the boundary of my garden. When the wall was built we signed a party wall agreement with the neighbour. The wall I was replacing had an old weak trellis of 1.3m on top of it, so I think I can build a new trellis to that height without problem.

However to have a taller trellis of 2m I need planning permission and so was wondering if anyone else had done that, and what kind of points were successful with the council?

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Planning application for high trellis - advice

Post by MacadamB53 »

treetime wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:04 pm Hi, I want to screen the house behind me with a 2m trellis on top of a 2m new wall that I built at the boundary of my garden. When the wall was built we signed a party wall agreement with the neighbour. The wall I was replacing had an old weak trellis of 1.3m on top of it, so I think I can build a new trellis to that height without problem.

However to have a taller trellis of 2m I need planning permission and so was wondering if anyone else had done that, and what kind of points were successful with the council?

in planning terms, you plan on erecting a new wall (rather than maintaining, improving or altering an existing wall) so will need to obtain planning consent to have anything taller than the 2m max

devil is in the detail…

kind regards, Mac
CherryBlack

Post by CherryBlack »

treetime wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:04 pm Hi, I want to screen the house behind me with a 2m trellis on top of a 2m new wall that I built at the boundary of my garden. When the wall was built we signed a party wall agreement with the neighbour. The wall I was replacing had an old weak trellis of 1.3m on top of it, so I think I can build a new trellis to that height without problem.

Hi TT.

Who will see, and be affected by, this raised trellis? Anyone other than you and this neighbour? And, what is this neighbour's attitude to your proposal?

I am hoping that both of you will benefit from, and appreciate, this improved feeling of privacy, and that your neighbour is therefore happy to allow this height of trellis screening, which is 'only' 700mm higher than the previous one. If that is the case, then clear it with them, get - ideally - their written consent, and go ahead.

In the worst case scenario - someone else tips off the council and they turn up and tut-tut - then you apply for retro P Permission, adding the support of the neighbour. If this fails, then you just take it down, or to the previous +1.3m level (if you can get away with this). You then plant trees instead.

How will you install this trellis - mounted to posts attached to the wall top, or mounted on loooong posts bedded into the ground tight against the wall front (much stronger)? Either way, it should be no great loss to remove this if forced to do so - the cost of some posts and the trellis; just sell it on.

If, on the other hand, your neighbour makes it clear they don't want this screen and will report it, then don't construct the trellis support, but stick a few trees in there instead. Keep the trees well spaced, so that they don't constitute a 'hedge' - around 2m spacing or so should be fine. By the time they reach the required ~4m height, they will also be more than wide enough to blend together and form an effective screen above the wall. Possibly useful to 'mention' this option too when asking about the trellis, if they are reticent; "I'm sorry you aren't happy with my idea of a slightly raised trellis screen - no probs, I guess I'll have to plant some trees instead...".
treetime

Post by treetime »

"in planning terms, you plan on erecting a new wall (rather than maintaining, improving or altering an existing wall) so will need to obtain planning consent to have anything taller than the 2m max"

Hi Mac - thanks, yes I think you're right which is a pain, I hate planners, they've made simple works into a nightmare the last few years. Really need to avoid them, they seem to want to go out of their way to make life harder for me.
treetime

Post by treetime »

"Who will see, and be affected by, this raised trellis? Anyone other than you and this neighbour? And, what is this neighbour's attitude to your proposal?"

Hi CherryBlack, thank you for your excellent reply. The trellis would be slightly on view from the main road from an angle 30m away but when it's covered with plants would help hide an ugly building. The trellis would only really affect me and her. I've not spoken to her about it yet as she's been really difficult about any works I did and I'm dreading her response, so I'm trying to work out the best way of presenting it. Your strategy of making it a positive for her also is the best one, thank you so much for her advice. I'll try and get her on board and that would make any future planning problems easier, but there shouldn't be any if she's ok with it. Renovating your home is so hard! Thanks again :)
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

treetime wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm "in planning terms, you plan on erecting a new wall (rather than maintaining, improving or altering an existing wall) so will need to obtain planning consent to have anything taller than the 2m max"

Hi Mac - thanks, yes I think you're right which is a pain, I hate planners, they've made simple works into a nightmare the last few years. Really need to avoid them, they seem to want to go out of their way to make life harder for me.
sorry to be the bearer, but it’s not my opinion
CherryBlack

Post by CherryBlack »

I'm assuming the wall will be ok to build without Planning, as it'll be within the max height?

That leaves the extending trellis...

You originally had 1.3m of trellis on top of a 2m wall - 3.3m in total? And the neighbour didn't complain about this, and no action was taken? That's hopeful. Also hopeful that it can barely be seen by anyone else - who on earth would be bothered.

You've built the wall? Cool. Hard to know how to play the trellis bit! Since you already had trellis there, you could just comment that you are planning to put up 'nice screening trellis' like before. If you are confident that it doesn't impact on here in any meaningful way, then there's a good chance you'll get away with it. She might not be bothered about it, and might not even know she'd have the option of complaining even if she wanted to - not everyone knows about Planning rools re fencing.

Of course, if it would look oppressive from her side, then it would be unethical for you to do this without her express agreement.

I personally wouldn't engage the P Dept with this if at all possible; chances are they'll simply say 'non'. If they do act after the event, then you won't be in 'trouble', but just have to remove it.

So consider all the options; 'try' the 2m trellis. Or, reinstate it to the same 1.3m as before - which will make it more likely you'll 'get away' with it - and then plant light frondy things in front that will take it to the required 4m. If 'Planning' get involved, then you say "Fair cop", and remove it.