Septic Tank safety responsibilities

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Paddock

Septic Tank safety responsibilities

Post by Paddock »

So my neighbours are still refusing to comply with EA law and remove the old septic tank from my garden ( See other threads). Despite most other people in the village having complied.

I was considering another tack ... One of the neighbouring properties has a positive covenant in their deeds to 'maintain, repair and if necessary replace ' said Septic Tank.

Since old septic tanks are notorious child killers and my own grandchildren are now 6 and 8 and play in the garden I was thinking of asking the neighbour to arrange for and pay for suitable security fencing around the tank.

God forbid anything should happen to any child but I expect the Health and Safety executive would have a field day with anyone whose now illegal tank caused any sort of accident. Thoughts? Perhaps I should contact the HSE in advance and see what they think?

Thanks

Paddock
Scrambler

Re: Septic Tank safety responsibilities

Post by Scrambler »

I would have thought some horrible security fencing in the corner of your garden would be very unsightly. Do you believe the lid on the tank is not safe ? If so it would be better just to have that renewed. Have there been many deaths of children falling into tanks in the UK? Perhaps you could post a link to the statistics you are referring to .?
Paddock

Re: Septic Tank safety responsibilities

Post by Paddock »

There is this from the US ..... https://www.onsiteinstaller.com/editori ... nk-mishaps

I emailed my house insurers to ask if I was covered in the event of such an accident. Despite a confirmation of the email being received there has been no answer in two weeks. I guess the answer is 'No' !

Paddock