TPO Qualification

Chester44

TPO Qualification

Post by Chester44 »

Hi everyone

Would a 10m 25 year old Ash tree be eligible for a TPO?

It’s located on a domestic garden in a modern housing development in no public sight. It is not in a Conservation Area

Not sure if this is enough info based on the guidelines for qualification but you never know!

Thanks in advance
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: TPO Qualification

Post by MacadamB53 »

Chester44 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:38 pm Hi everyone

Would a 10m 25 year old Ash tree be eligible for a TPO?

It’s located on a domestic garden in a modern housing development in no public sight. It is not in a Conservation Area

Not sure if this is enough info based on the guidelines for qualification but you never know!

Thanks in advance
you need to ask your local authority that question - they will assess the case on its own merits (i.e. there isn’t a set of hard and fast yes/no criteria)
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

We had a 7m high hawthorn in our back garden that had a TPO. It doesn’t need to be visible from the street. The amenity could be to your neighbours or wildlife.
Chester44

Post by Chester44 »

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

So a bit of background.

The tree is at the back of a property which backs into the rear of our garden. The owners have lived abroad for the past 10 years and the property is rented out. The tenants have no interest in the garden which is now in a real state. It is not looked after/maintained and the owners clearly have no interest in its maintenance.

The tree shades most of our garden in the afternoon, Pigeons crap on my patio and I then have to deal with the Autumnal fall of leaves.

In the past I have always met resistance when I request (through the Letting Agent) to share the cost of having the tree pruned/maintained. I do not receive any objections on the occasions when I have paid for the full cost of the works!

I have again requested that the owners pay for the costs of pruning the tree (it grows very quickly) however they have declined. The only reason given as advised by the Letting Agent is that “they don’t think it needs doing.”

So I advised the Letting Agent that I would now be cutting back any branches that cross the boundary of my property. This would provide me with a significant amount of light and diminish the other issues I’ve stated.

I invited the Letting Agent to visit and I could show him the specifics of the works. Obviously the tree will lose its shape but I’ve explained that unless the owners get involved I’m not prepared to keep paying for the privilege.

I haven’t heard from the Agent now for several days and this might just be the owners tardiness or reluctance to deal with the issue but I have a feeling that they may submit an application for a TPO. I suspect that this would be done not out of concern for the amenity value of the tree but purely out of maliciousness (incidentally I have never fallen out with them and all our dealings have been polite)

I may be getting ahead of myself here but I wanted to understand how the TPO application works and how I would find out if an application is in process.

I feel the Council should be aware of the full background to any application which I suspect is not borne out of concern for the environment.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

Chester44 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:37 pm Many thanks for taking the time to reply

So a bit of background.

The tree is at the back of a property which backs into the rear of our garden. The owners have lived abroad for the past 10 years and the property is rented out. The tenants have no interest in the garden which is now in a real state. It is not looked after/maintained and the owners clearly have no interest in its maintenance.

The tree shades most of our garden in the afternoon, Pigeons crap on my patio and I then have to deal with the Autumnal fall of leaves.

In the past I have always met resistance when I request (through the Letting Agent) to share the cost of having the tree pruned/maintained. I do not receive any objections on the occasions when I have paid for the full cost of the works!

I have again requested that the owners pay for the costs of pruning the tree (it grows very quickly) however they have declined. The only reason given as advised by the Letting Agent is that “they don’t think it needs doing.”

So I advised the Letting Agent that I would now be cutting back any branches that cross the boundary of my property. This would provide me with a significant amount of light and diminish the other issues I’ve stated.

I invited the Letting Agent to visit and I could show him the specifics of the works. Obviously the tree will lose its shape but I’ve explained that unless the owners get involved I’m not prepared to keep paying for the privilege.

I haven’t heard from the Agent now for several days and this might just be the owners tardiness or reluctance to deal with the issue but I have a feeling that they may submit an application for a TPO. I suspect that this would be done not out of concern for the amenity value of the tree but purely out of maliciousness (incidentally I have never fallen out with them and all our dealings have been polite)

I may be getting ahead of myself here but I wanted to understand how the TPO application works and how I would find out if an application is in process.

I feel the Council should be aware of the full background to any application which I suspect is not borne out of concern for the environment.
just a bit…
Climberman
Number of Posts per Page: 4

Post by Climberman »

For Pete’s sake, stop worrying about a possible (highly unlikely) TPO and just remove any branches that overhang, from the point where they broach your boundary. You have every right to do that. Offer them the wood back, they’ll decline. Job done!