Entitled neighbour

Needing?@Peace!

Entitled neighbour

Post by Needing?@Peace! »

I’ve lived in a terrace house for over four years. It’s a mid terrace, I’ll be house B. House C also mid terrace. My house is from a housing association and house C is a home owner. We got a new neighbour last year in house A, end terrace also housing association. As soon as she moved in she started blocking my gate which gives myself and C access to and from the back garden down the side of house A and to the street at the front of our houses.
We have also had to remove padlocks several times and are greeted by a very lively cocker spaniel which house A also told to go in my garden and run about a few times as she’s unhappy with us taking our bins out. The neighbour has too much time on her hands and makes it her full focus to intimidate us in any way she can. She took my 2 year old out my garden last year while I plugged in a cable for my lawnmower, her and her daughters walked through to try break house C gate and she told her daughter to leave them all open. Has her children stand outside our houses to stare in our windows, shout abuse when walking by amongst various other things.
Housing are not interested in looking at the video evidence and moaned abt the camera.
Housing association are suggesting a new path at the back because she’s demanding one.
Had the police sent to my door on Friday because she caused a scene refusing to let us bring my garden bin round the back. Let her dog jump all over my family member and shouted abuse at us. So we got a hammer and broke her locks on the gates.
Anyway on house C deeds- it is access at all times along the path marked.
I get that I’m with housing association so when they tell me just bins that’s all I’m doing anyway tbh but they are telling house C the same and suggesting a new path n asking her to contribute money towards it. Telling her she can’t go through any time she wants. And her sons not aloud to go through either.
These gates can only be opened from the inside aswel. So a few times she’s locked the gate over so we can’t get back in after taking the bins out. Housing make out it’s nothing. And saying we need to see her point it’s invading her privacy.
I’ve told neighbour C not to accept a new path and stick to her deeds. She’s now contacted her insurance so waiting to hear if they will take it on.
Wondering though if there is any advice. Me and C are both single parent families and the stress is really bothering us now. Also it’s like we need to talk ourselfs into do the simple task of taking bins out
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Entitled neighbour

Post by Collaborate »

Sounds like you understand the position perfectly. The HA can’t remove rights you have under the tenancy, thought when it’s up for renewal they could amend the tenancy to remove rights then, but they are in no position to restrict the rights of C.
Needing?@Peace!

Yes I’m not sure if they are just pushing their luck with C or don’t understand the legality of their actions.
My tennancy agreement states where a dispute arises then housing will make a discission which will be final. That should only be to me and A. But they sent out letters last year to A,B and C saying bin access the day before to put bins on street and following day to retrieve them. Emergency’s and maintenance. Also no padlocks, keep pathway clear and no loitering. I actually do follow this. That’s all I’ve ever done. Same with C even though she’s entitled to access anytime.
But A likes to make the path as tiny as she can and it can be like an obstacle course.
Would it be best for us to document the state of the path every time we pass and record every encounter. Not for the housing but more for Cs case?
FrTed

Post by FrTed »

Needing?@Peace! wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:57 pmvery lively cocker spaniel which house A also told to go in my garden and run about a few times as she’s unhappy with us taking our bins out.

Let her dog jump all over my family member and shouted abuse at us.

You can also remove obstructions from the path if this is stopping you taking your bins out / returning them etc
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
CherryBlack

Post by CherryBlack »

Well done in telling Neighb C to stick to their guns, and to not accept anything other than what you are all entitled to.

Also, well done to Neighb C for seemingly having Legal Protection on their house insurance ('ahem' to you for not :-) )

What to do? Let NC sort this via their LegProt. Meanwhile, tho', you - and they - should do a couple of things. One is to behave unimpeachably in your dealings with this person; be super-calm, polite, and don't become involved in any arguments. And, two, is to record all this. In other words, give this twit enough rope. If you can evidence their bizarre behaviour, and also the fact that you have told them the correct situation, then the LegProt's job should be straight forward.

Do NOT be intimidated by this dysfunctional new neighbour. Be assured that you will win this case, and it will be very satisfying. Try not to smirk too much when dealing with them.

You have CCTV - great. Does it capture all audio too?

I'd also have your phone ready whenever there's a chance your paths will cross. So, get your bins ready, get your phone recording (surreptitiously is always good...), and off you go. When you come across them, tell them whatever it is you need to tell them; "You DO know we have a 'Right of Way' across here, DON'T you?" Hand them the section from your deeds. "So, why are you trying to stop us?" "Show me the evidence you presumably think you have to stop us!" Ie - put everything in the form of questions, or requests. Don't TELL them stuff like, "We have a right of way!" Ask ask ask. Put the onus on to them to reply, and not argue. Repeat ad nauseam if needed.

The dawg. If their dawg comes on to your property, state loudly and clearly, "Remove your dog NOW!" "Tell your dawg to stop jumping up on me!" "You KNOW your dawg should be under control, don't you?"

Build up your case, gather evidence, and your neighb's LegProt will thank you profusely.

And for gawd's sakes, add LP to your policy on renewal...
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

CherryBlack wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:11 pm Well done in telling Neighb C to stick to their guns, and to not accept anything other than what you are all entitled to.

Also, well done to Neighb C for seemingly having Legal Protection on their house insurance ('ahem' to you for not :-) )

What to do? Let NC sort this via their LegProt. Meanwhile, tho', you - and they - should do a couple of things. One is to behave unimpeachably in your dealings with this person; be super-calm, polite, and don't become involved in any arguments. And, two, is to record all this. In other words, give this twit enough rope. If you can evidence their bizarre behaviour, and also the fact that you have told them the correct situation, then the LegProt's job should be straight forward.

Do NOT be intimidated by this dysfunctional new neighbour. Be assured that you will win this case, and it will be very satisfying. Try not to smirk too much when dealing with them.

I'd also have your phone ready whenever there's a chance your paths will cross. So, get your bins ready, get your phone recording (surreptitiously is always good...), and off you go. When you come across them, tell them whatever it is you need to tell them; "You DO know we have a 'Right of Way' across here, DON'T you?" Hand them the section from your deeds. "So, why are you trying to stop us?" "Show me the evidence you presumably think you have to stop us!" Ie - put everything in the form of questions, or requests. Don't TELL them stuff like, "We have a right of way!" Ask ask ask. Put the onus on to them to reply, and not argue. Repeat ad nauseam if needed.

The dawg. If their dawg comes on to your property, state loudly and clearly, "Remove your dog NOW!" "Tell your dawg to stop jumping up on me!" "You KNOW your dawg should be under control, don't you?"

Build up your case, gather evidence, and your neighb's LegProt will thank you profusely.

neighbour C’s legal protection won’t cover anything that happens to the OP
CherryBlack

Post by CherryBlack »

MacadamB53 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:41 pm
CherryBlack wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:11 pm Well done in telling Neighb C to stick to their guns, and to not accept anything other than what you are all entitled to.

neighbour C’s legal protection won’t cover anything that happens to the OP
Of course not. Did you miss, "What to do? Let NC sort this via their LegProt."?

And when neighb C sorts this issue for themselves, it'll effectively be sorted for the OP too. The OP's task is to assist Neighb C by providing whatever evidence is required for C's LP to have an easy ride in sorting this.
Needing?@Peace!

I don’t have legal protection as my home is rented. A few weeks ago we had to remove padlocks again and police gave me a little visit.
Today had the housing association out looking around my garden deciding how Theyr going to go about destroying it to facilitate the new path A has asked for.
They also came to tell me off for my cameras and an outside tap that was fitted before I moved in.
Cameras record sound aswel and any evidence I get I pass on to C.
It’s all so annoying because we have stayed here and established our gardens and then A moves in and demands and seems to get what she wants. She breaches her tenancy agreement constantly things such as not keeping grass cut and using her garden as a dump storing mattresses etc which is now starting to attract vermin. But that’s another matter I suppose.
I’ve told C I will phone them up tomorrow and ask for details of their proposed plans and date for work to start.
We have them on camera taking about the new path now so I will give all this to C for her solicitors, along with the proposed plans if I get them.
I have to go along with the decisions housing make but from now on rather than adding any value to their property I will be saving towards buying my own.
In the meantime I’ll do everything I can to help C keep what is hers
Guess who

Post by Guess who »

If the new path provides independent access and eliminates the need to traverse the entitled neighbour’s garden, it could be a positive move for all parties involved. Such an arrangement would not only enhance convenience but also avoid the adversarial behaviour associated with House A. Clear delineation of the path’s location to all relevant parties would be crucial to ensure a harmonious resolution.

If there have been a number of complaints about anti-social behaviour, you might be able to get the problem looked at again - this is called a ‘community trigger’. Check your local council’s website for how it works in your area.

If you’re still not happy with a housing association or the council, complain using their complaints process - you’ll find it on their website.

If you still think they haven’t acted as they should, you can go to an ombudsman. They’ll look at your complaint and decide if the council or housing association should put things right.

To complain about a housing association, go to the Housing Ombudsman.
Keep a record of any interaction and take pictures, keep CCTV footage and put everything in writing and remain polite to the neighbours at all times whilst pointing out any wrongdoing.
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

Guess who wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:16 am If the new path provides independent access and eliminates the need to traverse the entitled neighbour’s garden, it could be a positive move for all parties involved. Such an arrangement would not only enhance convenience but also avoid the adversarial behaviour associated with House A. Clear delineation of the path’s location to all relevant parties would be crucial to ensure a harmonious resolution.

If there have been a number of complaints about anti-social behaviour, you might be able to get the problem looked at again - this is called a ‘community trigger’. Check your local council’s website for how it works in your area.

If you’re still not happy with a housing association or the council, complain using their complaints process - you’ll find it on their website.

If you still think they haven’t acted as they should, you can go to an ombudsman. They’ll look at your complaint and decide if the council or housing association should put things right.

To complain about a housing association, go to the Housing Ombudsman.
Keep a record of any interaction and take pictures, keep CCTV footage and put everything in writing and remain polite to the neighbours at all times whilst pointing out any wrongdoing.
+1. Good practocal advice.