Clay soil tree flooding

New Topic!
Ljay2024

Clay soil tree flooding

Post by Ljay2024 »

Hi all, I’m new here and need some more opinions and advice about flooding laws.
I have confirmation our gardens are clay soil. Well most of mine is free draining normal soil. Neighbours garden slopes and highest point is 4-5 feet which gradually goes down to about 1 feet higher than mine. All gardens on my right side are higher and I’m the lowest garden. Neighbour cut downs lots of tall conifers some as tall as bedroom window. About 15 conifers ran along their fence line border, two gardens away from mine. So roughly 55-60 feet away from my fence line. Since last year my garden started getting wet which ended up flooded. Neighbour garden was already soaking wet lawn clay soil.
I’ve asked some land drainage experts around had quotes and they’ve said taking the trees out was the cause.
Neighbour is saying the trees made no difference to how wet her garden was before trees were taken out and that her neighbours garden which is slightly higher than hers is dry so taking the trees out should be making their garden wet.
Tried explaining water flows downhill along all the sloping gardens and that the trees helped soak up the rainwater excess water. She’s having non of it and thinks the stumps that are cut down to lawn ground level are still soaking up water.
What are the chances that the trees made the flooding worse with all this constant rain ?
What’s my chances of suing for damages ?
And should I be worried about house subsidence the tree roots are removed ?
Should there be a risk assessment applied for and made before old big trees are cut down and roots removed?
Thank you 🙏 in advance
Dreckly
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 1

Re: Clay soil tree flooding

Post by Dreckly »

Someone maybe 2 bus lengths from your garden cut down a line of conifers they owned. You ask what are the chances you could successfully sue them. I'm wondering what legislation you would use. Would it be the law of unintended consequences, perhaps?
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

Ljay2024 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:09 pm Hi all, I’m new here and need some more opinions and advice about flooding laws.
I have confirmation our gardens are clay soil. Well most of mine is free draining normal soil. Neighbours garden slopes and highest point is 4-5 feet which gradually goes down to about 1 feet higher than mine. All gardens on my right side are higher and I’m the lowest garden. Neighbour cut downs lots of tall conifers some as tall as bedroom window. About 15 conifers ran along their fence line border, two gardens away from mine. So roughly 55-60 feet away from my fence line. Since last year my garden started getting wet which ended up flooded. Neighbour garden was already soaking wet lawn clay soil.
I’ve asked some land drainage experts around had quotes and they’ve said taking the trees out was the cause.
Neighbour is saying the trees made no difference to how wet her garden was before trees were taken out and that her neighbours garden which is slightly higher than hers is dry so taking the trees out should be making their garden wet.
Tried explaining water flows downhill along all the sloping gardens and that the trees helped soak up the rainwater excess water. She’s having non of it and thinks the stumps that are cut down to lawn ground level are still soaking up water.
What are the chances that the trees made the flooding worse with all this constant rain ? how on earth could anyone on the forum answer this? we aren’t there…
What’s my chances of suing for damages ? zero
And should I be worried about house subsidence the tree roots are removed ?if you want, but I wouldn’t
Should there be a risk assessment applied for and made before old big trees are cut down and roots removed?no
Thank you 🙏 in advance
FrTed

Post by FrTed »

When we first moved into our house the garden was always dry - the lawn would crack in the summer, but the neighbour had a large willow tree about 50 ft from our house.

Few years later, the neighbour removed the tree - from then on the garden was waterlogged in wet weather.

Was the removal of the tree a causal factor in the change - without a doubt, could we sue the neighbour - not a chance. Their tree to do what they liked with.
Since then we landscaped the garden and improved drainage. Its been fine since we did that.
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"