Fence Post Support

c145hoo
Number of Posts per Page: 1
Number of topics per page: 1

Fence Post Support

Post by c145hoo »

I have a wood panel fences with wood post sunk into concrete. It has been like this since we moved in 3 years ago. The fence is ours as confirmed by our neighbour/legal documents. I know the fence was installed prior to our ownership and when installed, one of the wood posts was supported by a low level concrete post set into the ground of our neighbours garden (I believe this was done whilst next door was absent, so became a fait accompli). I notice yesterday that our fence was swaying, so assumed the post had rotted way and spoke with my neighbour who said he had removed the small concrete post as this was an eyesore. This is the cause of the post/and two attached panels being somewhat less sturdy and a strong windy day will probably see the fence come crashing down. Next doors garden is some 8 inches lower than ours, so installing a new post, deeper into the ground is probably what will need to be done to add the stability back to the fence/post. An added complication to this is that there is a main sewer drain under where to post currently sits, albeit probably four or so feet below ground level. Where do I stand as the removed small concrete post was entirely on his land, but the fence/posts sit on the boundary, but are now unstable?
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Fence Post Support

Post by MacadamB53 »

c145hoo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:59 pm I have a wood panel fences with wood post sunk into concrete. It has been like this since we moved in 3 years ago. The fence is ours as confirmed by our neighbour/legal documents. I know the fence was installed prior to our ownership and when installed, one of the wood posts was supported by a low level concrete post set into the ground of our neighbours garden (I believe this was done whilst next door was absent, so became a fait accompli). I notice yesterday that our fence was swaying, so assumed the post had rotted way and spoke with my neighbour who said he had removed the small concrete post as this was an eyesore. This is the cause of the post/and two attached panels being somewhat less sturdy and a strong windy day will probably see the fence come crashing down. Next doors garden is some 8 inches lower than ours, so installing a new post, deeper into the ground is probably what will need to be done to add the stability back to the fence/post. An added complication to this is that there is a main sewer drain under where to post currently sits, albeit probably four or so feet below ground level. Where do I stand as the removed small concrete post was entirely on his land, but the fence/posts sit on the boundary, but are now unstable?
what do you mean? I think you must already know that, if you want a fence, you need to find a solution that doesn’t rely on using someone else’s land
CherryBlack

Post by CherryBlack »

If this is 'your' fence, and sits on your side of the invisible boundary line, then it's your responsibility. (We could go into the 'you don't even need to have a fence there if you didn't want to' territory, but we assume you do want a fence!)

The solution is to either fit a similar concrete spur/repair post on your side, or to replace the whole post with a new one.

Yes, it was possibly a bit churlish of your neighb to remove that spur, and certainly inconsiderate to do so without discussing it with you first, but hey, it's a first world problem. And, yes, they ain't pretty.

Actually, if your fence had been blown down as a result of them removing this spur and caused damage to your property, they would have been liable. But, again, just not worth going there.

And there will be zero risk to your drains - you'll only be going around 2' deep.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

c145hoo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:59 pm I have a wood panel fences with wood post sunk into concrete. It has been like this since we moved in 3 years ago. The fence is ours as confirmed by our neighbour/legal documents. I know the fence was installed prior to our ownership and when installed, one of the wood posts was supported by a low level concrete post set into the ground of our neighbours garden (I believe this was done whilst next door was absent, so became a fait accompli). I notice yesterday that our fence was swaying, so assumed the post had rotted way and spoke with my neighbour who said he had removed the small concrete post as this was an eyesore. This is the cause of the post/and two attached panels being somewhat less sturdy and a strong windy day will probably see the fence come crashing down. Next doors garden is some 8 inches lower than ours, so installing a new post, deeper into the ground is probably what will need to be done to add the stability back to the fence/post. An added complication to this is that there is a main sewer drain under where to post currently sits, albeit probably four or so feet below ground level. Where do I stand as the removed small concrete post was entirely on his land, but the fence/posts sit on the boundary, but are now unstable?

Is it just the one post and the rest of the fence is fine, what surface sits on you side of the post, soil paving - likewise the neighbour?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
c145hoo

Post by c145hoo »

acadamB53
Not sure what you mean by "what do you mean"? The installed short concrete post was installed several years before I purchased the property and the fence was sound and stable until the short concrete post was removed a few days ago. Because of my neighbours actions I now have to incur the inconvenience (and costs) of having to repair what was a perfectly good fence.

arborlad
Soil on my side and paving on neighbours side.

CherryBlack
You're probably closest to my thoughts on the matter and I'll just have to get on and fix it. Bit disappointed with neighbour as last year I removed a holly bush fencing along another part of our boundary, and installed new wooden posts set in concrete and panel fencing. Subsequently, my neighbour 'chipped' away all the concrete at the base of his side on the posts and piled soil up against the posts (he didn't like to see the concrete). Just wasn't the best idea as this will cause the posts to be exposed and will no doubt rot much sooner than would otherwise be the case!
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

c145hoo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:04 pmBecause of my neighbours actions I now have to incur the inconvenience (and costs) of having to repair what was a perfectly good fence.
so you know where you stand, which is why I wasn’t sure what you were asking…
c145hoo

Post by c145hoo »

CherryBlack

Post by CherryBlack »

c145hoo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:04 pm CherryBlack
You're probably closest to my thoughts on the matter and I'll just have to get on and fix it. Bit disappointed with neighbour as last year I removed a holly bush fencing along another part of our boundary, and installed new wooden posts set in concrete and panel fencing. Subsequently, my neighbour 'chipped' away all the concrete at the base of his side on the posts and piled soil up against the posts (he didn't like to see the concrete). Just wasn't the best idea as this will cause the posts to be exposed and will no doubt rot much sooner than would otherwise be the case!
Who knows why that concrete spur was inserted on your neighbour's side in the first place! Could well have been that your predecessor neglected their duty of keeping the fence in good repair, so the neighb (again, perhaps their predecessor!) felt they had to do this.

Bottom line, tho', this is your fence, and your 'responsibility'.

Hard to know why your neighb didn't communicate with you about it - many folk are just terrified of such discussions, and they fear it could somehow escalate. Anyhoo - happy repair :-)
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

c145hoo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:04 pm
arborlad
Soil on my side and paving on neighbours side.

You've relied on a trespass up until now to keep the post in place, with soil your side and paving on the neighbours, the only place for spur now - is on your land.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people