Neighbour's threats and angry outbursts

CherryBlack

Re: Neighbour's threats and angry outbursts

Post by CherryBlack »

Does the council know about this 'land grab'? Could they find out who it belongs to?

What sort of stuff is he tamping down into the ground - does it include rubbish? If so, does the EH at the council know about this?

Tbh, other than that, I think it's a case of keep recording all the incidents, and contact your council if you reckon it deems a statutory nuisance. And otherwise try and ignore it.
mr sheen

Post by mr sheen »

Read through a few of these and think a calming down approach would be helpful.
There isn’t anything too egregious.
Complaints include people from Gas Company reading the meter….which is their right at any time.
Neighbour Land grabbing land for which the owner is unknown…..well that is the unknown owners problem.
Neighbour Pressure washing his drive and a bit of water sprays over…normal issues if you buy/rent a property with neighbours.

OP asks ‘am I being unreasonable’ …..well you have a right to live peacefully but so does he….without constant surveillance by neighbours
….which is guaranteed to fuel more anger

The Council have explained that unless he builds a structure, on the land with the unknown owner, there is no issue as far as they are concerned.
Life is short…best to focus on what’s really important
trippedup
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by trippedup »

CherryBlack wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:51 pm Does the council know about this 'land grab'? Could they find out who it belongs to?

What sort of stuff is he tamping down into the ground - does it include rubbish? If so, does the EH at the council know about this?

Tbh, other than that, I think it's a case of keep recording all the incidents, and contact your council if you reckon it deems a statutory nuisance. And otherwise try and ignore it.
Hi,

Apologies for the delayed reply - life got in the way.

The council knows in that I asked them if what he was doing was OK. As far as I know, it would be up to me to get in touch with a body such as the Land Registry - but even then, I don't know if a change of ownership would have been recorded (probably not if the neighbour has pulled a fast one).

It's stuff like broken concrete, etc. He had a man cave which he's just taken down and I think it's the remainder of the base of that. No way of telling, though. I don't think it's anything hazardous, though - happy to be corrected if concrete is hazardous.

All events are being noted in my big red book and we'll keep an eye on everything, as always.

Thanks for your help :)
trippedup
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by trippedup »

mr sheen wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:29 am Read through a few of these and think a calming down approach would be helpful.
There isn’t anything too egregious.
Complaints include people from Gas Company reading the meter….which is their right at any time.
Neighbour Land grabbing land for which the owner is unknown…..well that is the unknown owners problem.
Neighbour Pressure washing his drive and a bit of water sprays over…normal issues if you buy/rent a property with neighbours.

OP asks ‘am I being unreasonable’ …..well you have a right to live peacefully but so does he….without constant surveillance by neighbours
….which is guaranteed to fuel more anger

The Council have explained that unless he builds a structure, on the land with the unknown owner, there is no issue as far as they are concerned.
Life is short…best to focus on what’s really important
Hi,

You're absolutely correct in that some of it isn't that bad but with his previous actions (definitely egregious, such as pulling the fence down and threatening us), anything else he does, however apparently minor, is always going to make us wonder "What's next?"

The concern over the land grab is that whatever he builds will be right up to our fence as he's taken the No Man's Land (which we had didn't want ourselves, just for clarity). My understanding is that if he builds a shed/similar, he'll have to install things like guttering so rain water is kept away from our fence and pergola. My husband had to ask him to put guttering onto his previous build - in the end, I don't think it was necessary but one of the neighbours behind the build also had to ask him to do it.

The council didn't say the neighbour can't build on the land grab without the original owner knowing - but they would want to know if there was anything "irregular" about it. Also, the original owner is known - it's a question of: did the neighbour grab the land with their permission? Or did he just say he'd "look after the land" for them as they're elderly and don't seem to be unduly bothered about their messy garden (which they've every right to be)? We can't ask the the original owner about it as our neighbour would find out and then we'd be in for it again.

The "surveillance" is via a normal and legal CCTV system; the neighbour is aware of it. We mostly use it for "daily" things - who delivered something while we were out/where did they put it, who knocked on the door while I was on a Teams call so couldn't answer, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary there. We do leave him in peace - we don't engage unless necessary (and haven't spoken for a couple of years now) - and it would be nice if he did the same instead of causing anxiety. Our house is one of the important things to us as is our sanity. And we can't move for various personal reasons so we have to "manage" matters as best we can.

Thanks for your advice :)