How to get tatty old car removed?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.
Rosenberg

How to get tatty old car removed?

Post by Rosenberg »

Good evening fellow garden-lovers. I have a question about front gardens and drives:

Who should I contact to get an old car removed from neighbour's drive? All the other houses in the street have fairly new cars, max. 2 or 3 years old but this one is over 20 years old, dirty, untaxed and an eyesore. It's so bad I'm embarrassed to have friends come round as they always comment on the state of my neighbour's property. I have been told there is a law which allows councils to force a property owner to tidy up the front of their house, but unsure who to approach to get the ball rolling.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: How to get tatty old car removed?

Post by MacadamB53 »

Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:56 pm Good evening fellow garden-lovers. I have a question about front gardens and drives:

Who should I contact to get an old car removed from neighbour's drive? All the other houses in the street have fairly new cars, max. 2 or 3 years old but this one is over 20 years old, dirty, untaxed and an eyesore. It's so bad I'm embarrassed to have friends come round as they always comment on the state of my neighbour's property. I have been told there is a law which allows councils to force a property owner to tidy up the front of their house, but unsure who to approach to get the ball rolling.
perhaps the council?

kind regards, Mac
ps welcome back
Rosenberg

Post by Rosenberg »

Thanks Mac; it's nice to see that nothing much has changed here.

After deliberating for almost a second, I had managed to figure out it was the council I needed to contact, but the question is: which department deals with enforcing the law I mentioned? The council switchboard was no help. Environmental Health say they don't deal with such things unless it is attracting vermin. I know the law exists because there was an article about it in the newspapers some years ago; so there must be somebody whose responsibility it is to enforce it. Presumably the Labour-led council think they can deny their obligations to residents in order to save money.
MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 »

Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:57 pm Thanks Mac; it's nice to see that nothing much has changed here.

After deliberating for almost a second, I had managed to figure out it was the council I needed to contact, but the question is: which department deals with enforcing the law I mentioned? The council switchboard was no help. Environmental Health say they don't deal with such things unless it is attracting vermin. I know the law exists because there was an article about it in the newspapers some years ago; so there must be somebody whose responsibility it is to enforce it. Presumably the Labour-led council think they can deny their obligations to residents in order to save money.
I think the “law” might be that a council can request a garden be cleared of e.g. detritus with a threat of a community protection notice as set out in Part 4 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014

try looking for “anti-social behaviour” on your council’s website (I suspect that an “old” car might not meet the grade, though)

kind regards, Mac
FrTed

Post by FrTed »

Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:56 pm Who should I contact to get an old car removed from neighbour's drive? All the other houses in the street have fairly new cars, max. 2 or 3 years old but this one is over 20 years old
You UTTER NIMBY.
Have you spoken to the neighbour, asked them if they have a plan for the car? It might have sentimental value to them (my 20 year old car has sentimental value to me, and my neighbours 89 year old car certainly has sentimental value to him).
If its bothering you so much that it looks dirty, grab a sponge and bucket of soapy water and give it a wash.
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
vuego100

Post by vuego100 »

Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:56 pm Who should I contact to get an old car removed from neighbour's drive? .
The Councils pigs can fly department. :D
stufe35

Post by stufe35 »

What happens to all your other neighbours cars when they reach 2 or 3 years old ? Do they just chuck them away as unsuitable for the neighbourhood ? Not very environmentally friendly ?
Dreckly
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 1

Post by Dreckly »

Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:56 pm I have been told there is a law which allows councils to force a property owner to tidy up the front of their house, but unsure who to approach to get the ball rolling.
There are laws that allow a council to intervene if a house is in such a bad state of repair it poses a health risk. Or if detritus around the house is providing food and shelter for vermin, they may intervene, but cars are not houses, nor notable attractions for rats and other beasties.
You are not going anywhere with this via the council. As a taxpayer, and owner of a 22 year old van, I'm not sorry about that.
Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope »

There are farms round here where the remains of every single car, tractor or piece of machinery they have ever owned are all lying around quietly rotting away. Some are only visible now under thickets of bramble, some have trees growing through them, some have simply vanished into the soil and leaf mould.
Fortunately, or perhaps not, the council has other things to waste our money on.
Superman

Post by Superman »

Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:56 pm Good evening fellow garden-lovers. I have a question about front gardens and drives:

Oh dear. What a shame.

You're too embarrassed to have friends over because they might say something.. how about just growing up and lightening up? No seriously, just don't let it bother you. It's a skill. I used to be bad at it but over the years I've learnt to lighten up and now nothing really bothers me.

There is no right to a "view". It's your neighbours property, it's your neighbours car and it's your neighbours choice.

In essence, your neighbour can have whatever vehicle they want. There is little point you curtain twitching and getting nasty about it. Your neighbour could complain about you for antisocial behaviour. As for your argument about most vehicles being less than 3 years old, that's a sad joke I'm afraid. There is nothing at all that can force a person to drive a vehicle of any age. If you don't like it. it IS YOUR problem not theirs. Obviously you could always check in with your neighbour to see if they need any help.. but you won't will you - because the cars in your neighbourhood are all new and those sorts of people don't help anyone, they just look down on others.

But ultimately I resort to my first point. Lighten up. Once you do you stop taking stuff so seriously and then it stops bothering you.
Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:57 pm After deliberating for almost a second, I had managed to figure out it was the council I needed to contact, but the question is: which department deals with enforcing the law I mentioned?
What law did you even mention? - None. No act, bill or anything else.
Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:57 pm I know the law exists because there was an article about it in the newspapers some years ago; so there must be somebody whose responsibility it is to enforce it.
Well that's a sudden change of your position which was previously:
Rosenberg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:56 pm I have been told there is a law which allows councils to force a property owner to tidy up the front of their house
From my POV you're a neighbourhood trouble maker looking to make someones life difficult. There is an old saying, don't poop on your own doorstep. Thing is nothing good will come from you creating trouble, only hostilities and from that point, it's a downward trajectory.
Rosenberg

Post by Rosenberg »

Thanks Mac for the info.

The rest of you:
*Edited to remove disrespectful content*

stufe35 wrote: What happens to all your other neighbours cars when they reach 2 or 3 years old ? Do they just chuck them away as unsuitable for the neighbourhood ? Not very environmentally friendly ?
Don't be silly. They quite obviously have the option of buying new cars and selling their old ones on the second-hand market. There is no need to scrap them. It is, generally speaking, more environmentally friendly to drive new cars.

FrTed wrote: Have you spoken to the neighbour, asked them if they have a plan for the car?
He has never answered the door to me in all the time we have lived next door to him. He's an anti-social recluse who won't speak to anybody.

Clifford Pope wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:51 pm There are farms round here where the remains of every single car, tractor or piece of machinery they have ever owned are all lying around quietly rotting away. Some are only visible now under thickets of bramble, some have trees growing through them, some have simply vanished into the soil and leaf mould.
Fortunately, or perhaps not, the council has other things to waste our money on.
A tatty rural area is hardly comparable to a high-class residential estate.

Superman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:16 pm Your neighbour could complain about you for antisocial behaviour.
On what basis? Not wishing to live next door to a slum? Not wishing to live next door to a pervert? Not wishing to live next door to someone who trespasses on my land? Not wishing to live next door to someone who illegally puts scaffolding on my land? Not wishing to live next door to a peeping tom?

Superman wrote: There is nothing at all that can force a person to drive a vehicle of any age.
He doesn't drive it. It has been dumped on his drive for the last few years, and it has never moved or been cleaned. (There is moss growing on the steering wheel.) I say 'his' drive, but actually, it is partly on my land which he illegally paved after I removed the original boundary fence to give us more room.

Superman wrote: Obviously you could always check in with your neighbour to see if they need any help.
Why would I want to do that? He has caused me nothing but trouble for years.

Superman wrote: What law did you even mention? - None. No act, bill or anything else.
I referred to a law (both here and in my conversation with the council), but I didn't know the name or details of it until Mac kindly informed me.

Superman wrote: Well that's a sudden change of your position...
No change in my position. The two statements I made are are not mutually exclusive, which you would have realised if you had only stopped to think before posting your diatribe.

Superman wrote: From my POV you're a neighbourhood trouble maker looking to make someones life difficult.
That's very judgemental of you. You don't know me, my neighbour or the history behind this issue. All you know is the single aspect of it which I asked advice on. Yet, in your tiny, unimaginative, chip-on-the-shoulder, little mind you have extrapolated that one fact into a whole character profile. Not very sensible of you Superman.
c-128

Post by c-128 »

Rosenberg wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:59 pm
FrTed wrote: Have you spoken to the neighbour, asked them if they have a plan for the car?
He has never answered the door to me in all the time we have lived next door to him. He's an anti-social recluse who won't speak to anybody.
He has that right. Really, that's none of your business.
Clifford Pope wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:51 pm There are farms round here where the remains of every single car, tractor or piece of machinery they have ever owned are all lying around quietly rotting away. Some are only visible now under thickets of bramble, some have trees growing through them, some have simply vanished into the soil and leaf mould.
Do you think living in a "high-class residential estate" somehow means you get to impose your view of what's acceptable on others?
Superman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:16 pm Your neighbour could complain about you for antisocial behaviour.
On what basis? Not wishing to live next door to a slum? Not wishing to live next door to a pervert? Not wishing to live next door to someone who trespasses on my land? Not wishing to live next door to someone who illegally puts scaffolding on my land? Not wishing to live next door to a peeping tom?
Do you live next door to a slum? It doesn't sound like you do - everything else doesn't seem relevant.
Superman wrote: There is nothing at all that can force a person to drive a vehicle of any age.
He doesn't drive it. It has been dumped on his drive for the last few years, and it has never moved or been cleaned. (There is moss growing on the steering wheel.) I say 'his' drive, but actually, it is partly on my land which he illegally paved after I removed the original boundary fence to give us more room.
Well, if it's on your land that's something else - it's irrelevant whether he drives it or you consider it to be "dumped on his drive" - that bit's really none of your business.
Superman wrote: Obviously you could always check in with your neighbour to see if they need any help.
I think he's just suggesting you might be a little more "neighbourly", something you're accusing your neighbour of not being.
Superman wrote: From my POV you're a neighbourhood trouble maker looking to make someones life difficult.
That's very judgemental of you. You don't know me, my neighbour or the history behind this issue. All you know is the single aspect of it which I asked advice on. Yet, in your tiny, unimaginative, chip-on-the-shoulder, little mind you have extrapolated that one fact into a whole character profile. Not very sensible of you Superman.
You know, I'm sure it doesn't seem this way to you from your response, but from what you've put here it really does come across as if it's you that has the chip on your shoulder.

If it really is "partly on my land which he illegally paved" that's an actual "thing" - maybe expand/provide actual detail on that?
Everything else just reads like you have a sense of entitlement that leads you to believe you can impose your view of what's "right" on others.
Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope »

I think from the the tone of your off the cuff judgement of my neighbourhood you have put your finger on the whole issue.

Thank goodness I don't live on a "high-class residential estate". The kind of people there sound absolutely ghastly :)
FrTed

Post by FrTed »

The rest of you:
*Edited to remove disrespectful content*
:lol:
Oh dear - dont post opinions on a public forum if you are not prepared to read the replies that dont align with your own personal point of view.
Rosenberg wrote:
stufe35 wrote: What happens to all your other neighbours cars when they reach 2 or 3 years old ? Do they just chuck them away as unsuitable for the neighbourhood ? Not very environmentally friendly ?
Don't be silly. They quite obviously have the option of buying new cars and selling their old ones on the second-hand market. There is no need to scrap them. It is, generally speaking, more environmentally friendly to drive new cars.
Actually that there is an opinion that opens up a whole new debate on the energy and carbon emissions from new car manufacture Vs that of keeping a 10 year old car on the road, and throwing into that the environmental impact of mining involved for Lithium batteries... Yes, its quite a debate whether its better to buy and keep a vehicle for its entire useable life or to replace it every 3 years on PCP. On the plus side, people that do change cars every 3 years mean there is a lovely supply of affordable nearly new cars for people like me who live in a tatty rural area to buy every so often when the current steed has come to the end of its useful life.
Rosenberg wrote:
So which is it - a recluse that speaks to no one or a troublemaker? I think the real issue here is what you mention below....
Rosenberg wrote:
So, he has a car, which you consider to be partly on land owned by you because you removed a boundary to "give you more room" (presumably to open car doors and the like over the boundary and onto "his" land?) And presumably you would like this removed to re-assert your boundary or re-claim what you see to be your land. The scruffiness (IYO) of the car just seems to be an excuse to try to get it removed.
There are plenty of posts on here about issues arising from people gaining a few inches/feet of land when boundary features have been removed. And this is a whole separate issue to getting a front garden tidied up or a car removed.

Oh, and you know what I said im my first post about NIMBYism?
Rosenberg wrote: A tatty rural area is hardly comparable to a high-class residential estate.
:lol:
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
GrumpiusMaximus

Post by GrumpiusMaximus »

It amazes me every day that there are people like the original poster that believe that they are the only person in the World and that everybody has to conform to their exacting standards. Provided a car is being legally kept and isn't causing an environmental health issue it is - bluntly - none of your business what people own.

You are not entitled to a view from your front window, you cannot force others to conform to your personal standards and the fact that your neighbour chooses to legally keep their car in the manner that they do has absolutely nothing to do with you. The act of parking an old car and leaving it on a driveway does not contravene any law provided it is on SORN and you have absolutely no legal recourse to force your opinion onto somebody else.

Grow up.

If they have parked it on your land, then contact the council and put in a boundary dispute.