threat to block my Right of Way

Eliza

Re: threat to block my Right of Way

Post by Eliza »

It comes up in numerous places that boundary lines are accurate to within about 18" one way or the other. The area of land concerned sounds rather a lot wider than that...
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

FOR INFORMATION

It needs to be crystal clear that Arborlad has clearly got personal negative feelings about me and is acting according to them (rather than facts).

I am wondering if he might be associated with my troublesome neighbours - because objective he clearly ain't.

Please ignore anything he ever says about me - as he is clearly so biased - for some reason or other.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Eliza wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:24 pm It comes up in numerous places that boundary lines are accurate to within about 18" one way or the other. The area of land concerned sounds rather a lot wider than that...

This - is wrong.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

It is confirmed by HMLR that the thickness of a line on a 1:1250 tilte plan is 30cm and on a 1:2500 plan 60cm. OP's reference to 18" is in the middle of these two parameters and therefore the observation is perfectly valid.

https://customerhelp.landregistry.gov.u ... 45bdcfaa85
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

Collaborate wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:13 pm It is confirmed by HMLR that the thickness of a line on a 1:1250 tilte plan is 30cm and on a 1:2500 plan 60cm. OP's reference to 18" is in the middle of these two parameters and therefore the observation is perfectly valid.

except it’s not - the observation being that boundary lines [lines respresenting boundary features - not boundary lines] are accurate to within 18” [aka accurately plotted to within 18” of where the boundary features are in the real world]

OS tolerance for accurate plotting of any given line is greater than 18”
Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

I think it's pretty well universally acknowledged that OS maps are barely adequate to identify the address in question. LR maps are not much better.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Collaborate wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:13 pm It is confirmed by HMLR that the thickness of a line on a 1:1250 tilte plan is 30cm and on a 1:2500 plan 60cm. OP's reference to 18" is in the middle of these two parameters and therefore the observation is perfectly valid.

I stand by my original observation. It contradicts what LR put on every title plan, to ensure it is taken notice - they put it in SHOUTY TEXT. It also contradicts everything Conveyancer has ever said on the matter!
arborlad

MaryMary
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by MaryMary »

Read your deed to check what your obligation is as to when and what you pay. I have been through this, dodgy specs that were not as actually installed but used to sway approval, no proper surveyor, instead another contractor with no qualifications, improvements presented as maintenance. Getting your own qualified surveyor would cost a fortune. In our case judge was as gullible as the mob of neighbours that approved the work except whether they actually did approve as a majority was not actually proven. There are circumstances where significant expenditure can be passed if it so called saves costs over time but in our case, only an in pocket ex contractor was relied on to assess choice of surface. If you pay retrospectively you have some sway and control. if you can, get other quotes. Challenge any obvious improvements that you do not wish to contribute too . Some contractors will do a ball park estimate from a video of condition and Google earth for you. You are entitled to see the quotes from the landowner and resulting invoices.

Blocking a ROW is a serious matter, landowner is a fool if this is actioned, it certainly shouldn't be used as a lever to get you to pay his demands.
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Quite! Thanks...

I've found with my own current house - where boundary wars break out all round that it's all been officially fought out and it was about that much that two different neighbours were trying to nick - but part of what saved that bit of theft from me (land Registry all officially involved) was it was tiny little widths of no more than 3' that adjacent neighbours were trying to nick off me. So they did manage to steal a wider strip of my garden than that - but the two narrower widths remain safely mine (ie officially as well as in actual fact).

I left the wider strip of land stolen by them be eventually - when I found out there is a huge bill due to be paid on it at some point - and the bill will no longer fall to my house.....(that bit of my land is now officially theirs - and they will be the ones accordingly getting that bill - cue for I didn't know why my solicitor burst out laughing and shrugged come the end, until she told me that bill would now be theirs to pay). Silver lining to cloud....
Tizwoz

Post by Tizwoz »

Ordnance Survey plans are taken as correct, however they're not. They are only ever as accurate as the survey and where the surveyor puts his electronic staff. Having seen the result on several occasions I can bear witness to their inaccuracies.

In theory with modrn electronic surveying equipment great accuracy is possible but in practice the job has been deskilled and sloppy work results in problems.
Guess who

Post by Guess who »

The Ordnance Survey Act 1841 does not grant Ordnance Survey the power to ascertain or alter property boundaries. The Ordnance Survey map is thus a map of the physical features encountered on the land by Ordnance Survey's surveyors. It is a map made without any enquiry as to the positions of property boundaries. It cannot therefore be a definitive map of property boundaries. Land Registry is careful to point out that its title plans, based as they are on Ordnance Survey maps, show the general positions of the boundaries of registered land.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Guess who wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:58 am The Ordnance Survey Act 1841 does not grant Ordnance Survey the power to ascertain or alter property boundaries. The Ordnance Survey map is thus a map of the physical features encountered on the land by Ordnance Survey's surveyors. It is a map made without any enquiry as to the positions of property boundaries. It cannot therefore be a definitive map of property boundaries. Land Registry is careful to point out that its title plans, based as they are on Ordnance Survey maps, show the general positions of the boundaries of registered land.

+1
arborlad