Garden Fence Height

ritareynolds

Garden Fence Height

Post by ritareynolds » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:55 am

My neighbour has erected a 6 foot fence from his side of the boundary. He has not sunk in any posts in concrete but has only nailed the panels to our existing ranch fencing. Leaving 2inch screws jutting out from our fence. What can be done about the screws?
His land is approximately 2 ft higher than ours, so his fence panels stick up 2 ft higher than our fencing. Does this effect our right to light?
He is now threatening to erect an even higher fence of 8 ft after asking him to remove the screws from the fence.
Thank you very much
Rita

despair

Post by despair » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:03 pm

Your neighbour cannot under any circumstances fix/nail anything let alone a fence to your property /fence

You are legally entitled to remove his fence from yours forthwith

Just be careful not to damage it

If he has damaged your fence then sue him in the Small claims court

He can erect a fence at the rear of properties up to 2 metres high from his own land level

Forward of his house he is only allowed 1 metre high fence without planning permission or permission from the LA

ritareynolds

Post by ritareynolds » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:24 pm

Do you know anything about the right to light?
If his land is 2 ft higher than ours, his fence in total from our land could be around 8 ft; thats quite tall. Do we have any right for the fence to be less than the legal 2m in this case, to allow sunlight into our garden?

Angelisle

Post by Angelisle » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:53 pm

RitaReynolds
Do we have any right for the fence to be less than the legal 2m in this case, to allow sunlight into our garden?
Right to light for sunlight to your garden? Sorry but there is no direct entitlement to this. You may care to check out the link below it has some good information regarding Right to Light.
http://www.rics.org/Property/Propertyma ... _light.htm
www.islandpulse.co.uk
www.digitalfoyer.com
www.iwdig.org.uk

ritareynolds

Post by ritareynolds » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:21 pm

thanks for the link and the help

ritareynolds

Post by ritareynolds » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:02 pm

Have tryed since to knock through the screws but with no luck. Is there any power tool I can use to unscrew them from my side of the fence??!!

He still has not concreted his posts, what do i do with this matter??! Can i make him do this or not?

Any help
please reply.

Angelisle

Post by Angelisle » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi Rita,
Girl power, how about a small cheap angle grinder, does what it says on the tin, using goggles and protective gloves, angle the blade as close to the screw shaft as it exits the post, voila jobs a good un :shock: You could of course purchase one of those hobby rota zip tools, they dont have as much power and will take longer but have the same effect. :)
www.islandpulse.co.uk
www.digitalfoyer.com
www.iwdig.org.uk