Wall inside boundary.

Freddieab

Wall inside boundary.

Post by Freddieab » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi All,

As every case is different I have not as yet been able to find an answer to my quandary and have decided to post it on here in the hope of getting some advice.

I am currently looking to rebuild a 2m high boundary wall that I am responsible for. This would initially appear to be quite straight forward as my neighbour is fine about it in general.

However, the previous owner of my house said he had built the wall several inches inside the boundary. This is mentioned in my conveyance stuff also.

I have the original blueprints for my house (1933) which indicate the width of my property. The house was built some time before the one next door.

After measuring this it appears the outside face of the wall is 29cm from the indicated boundary on the blueprints.

His gate is fixed to a pier in the wall and this point appears to be the indicated boundary.

Questions:

1. Can I build up to the boundary i.e. the point where the gate is fixed? (Inside of the boundary line)

2. Will this incur PWA?

3. Will the outside edge of the foundation need to be up to the boundary or can it project onto their property.

4. Am I likely to have to get a surveyor in?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Emulated

Post by Emulated » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:59 am

29cm!. Is it worth bothering about?

Freddieab

Post by Freddieab » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:06 am

Not particularly, but as I have to rebuild the wall any how I wanted to check.

But thanks for your advice.

Emulated

Post by Emulated » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 am

As I am going through a dispute over 18" which makes a vast difference to accessing my property even I have my doubts asto whether its all worth it. Its costing thousands and years of hassle. If your neighbour agrees then its ok but get it in writing. You probaly won't need a surveyor but the foundations will have to be extended depending on how high the wall is to ascertain the foundation width and depth and usualy going into the neighbouring plot. Not knocking you but pondering if its worth the extra money and work. Maybe if you need the extra space it is. :D

Freddieab wrote:Not particularly, but as I have to rebuild the wall any how I wanted to check.

But thanks for your advice.

andrew54

Re: Wall inside boundary.

Post by andrew54 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:58 pm

Freddieab wrote:1. Can I build up to the boundary i.e. the point where the gate is fixed? (Inside of the boundary line)
Yes you can, but he can then take you to court to move the wall, the decision could go either way.
Freddieab wrote: 2. Will this incur PWA?
Only if your foundations for the wall go under some of his land.
Freddieab wrote:3. Will the outside edge of the foundation need to be up to the boundary or can it project onto their property.
Founds can go under his land, but then you need to use party wall act.
Freddieab wrote: 4. Am I likely to have to get a surveyor in?
Only if you use PWA.

Freddieab

Post by Freddieab » Fri May 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks for the replies folks.

Im not concerened about the 'discrepancy'. As the wall is unstable and needs rebuilding I thought I could put it right. But it sounds to much agro to do that so I guess I will rebuild it where it is.

Thanks again.