unsure who owns wall

woody3000

unsure who owns wall

Post by woody3000 »

i am hoping someone can help me. i bought my victorian property in 2000 and was told at that time by my neighbours that the wall that separates our gardens is my wall. they have had it rebuilt at some point, although i'm not sure when. they believe that they had it built on their property however it is clearly on mine as it is further over than their extension and that goes past the house line... my issue is that i would like to put screening up for privacy and security as i have a 2 year old....i worry that the walls are low and the gardens are close to a road, stranger worries (people watching us in the back garden).

so, my question is if it is my wall but they had it built who does it belong to and can i drill wood into it to attach screening? do i need to confirm whose land it is on or who it belongs to?

historically speaking they have had issues because i removed the crazy paving which made my garden less tall and may have affected the wall
(although it is still standing 5 years later)....that said if i damaged it i would put it right (especially as it is mine and therefore i have a legal obligation?!)

please help me!, i am very confused and would like to talk amicably with my neighbour with the correct facts

thanks for taking the time to read

B
despair

Post by despair »

I do not see why removing crazy paving would destabilise a wall and i sure do not understand how they rebuil a wall but on your land

If the wall is definitely on your land its your wall and you can do what you like with it

however bamboo screening which is what i assume you are proposing is short lived and expensive

you could well be better served by installing posts and a 6ft6 in high fence slam up tight to the wall

then they have no say in what you do

or demolish the wall and install the fence in its place
despair

Re: unsure who owns wall

Post by despair »

Could it be that when the neighbours built their extention they damaged your wall or it was demolished to give their builders access and then rebuilt

You really need to try and find out the truth from your predecesors ....if its your wall i would have trellis panels added to top of the wall
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

despair wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 pm Could it be that when the neighbours built their extention they damaged your wall or it was demolished to give their builders access and then rebuilt

You really need to try and find out the truth from your predecesors ....if its your wall i would have trellis panels added to top of the wall
Do you not think that after 13 years the OP might have moved on in their life?
woody3000

Post by woody3000 »

Hello, we sold the house a few years ago. Now have a different problem lol which is why I think this post popped up again as I posted a different question. I do know that the next owner did something with the wall as it was rendered at some point so did continue to be a bit of an issue