Outdoor socket drilled into wall - who is responsible?

arborlad

Re: Outdoor socket drilled into wall - who is responsible?

Post by arborlad »

despair wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:08 pm Why on earth do some people have to be so darn nasty ,..............

I see no nastiness - except from you................
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky »

The funny thing is the OP cant gain access and remove it themselves using the ATNLA as its against part P electrical installations regulations for them to open up the case and disconnect the wiring . .

They can however as I said before allow the case to come away from the wall as the wall comes down.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
despair

Post by despair »

Precisely what you and i have said already ....just carefully demolish the wall and push the plug out of the way ....the neighbours are wrong wrong wrong and being deliberately beligerant
victorian16
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 5

Post by victorian16 »

Thanks for the responses. The asbestos is complicating matters significantly. I think actually the socket needs to be removed by a licensed asbestos contractor as the wall will be significantly disturbed. Which also means that if I remove the wall around it I could potentially leave them with a floating socket coated in asbestos. Not ideal. I will confirm details with the asbestos contractor tomorrow.

I have now asked them to remove the socket within the next 14 days. I have also said I am open to alternative solutions. And in the meantime I am looking at ways to remove the asbestos from my side.

Of course the obvious solution is to allow me carry out the job safely from their side, including socket removal, without charging me near enough 1K for the pleasure.
mugwump

Post by mugwump »

Is there possibly something in asbestos removal regulations that could force their hand into allowing your removal contractor access to remove it?
victorian16

Post by victorian16 »

mugwump wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:54 am Is there possibly something in asbestos removal regulations that could force their hand into allowing your removal contractor access to remove it?
You would think so wouldn't you. I will ask the contractor today. I seem to be falling between the cracks of various Acts. Not Party Wall as demolition of a boundary wall and not ACNL as again final goal is demolition.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

victorian16 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 pm Thanks for the responses. The asbestos is complicating matters significantly. I think actually the socket needs to be removed by a licensed asbestos contractor as the wall will be significantly disturbed. Which also means that if I remove the wall around it I could potentially leave them with a floating socket coated in asbestos. Not ideal. I will confirm details with the asbestos contractor tomorrow.

I have now asked them to remove the socket within the next 14 days. I have also said I am open to alternative solutions. And in the meantime I am looking at ways to remove the asbestos from my side.

Of course the obvious solution is to allow me carry out the job safely from their side, including socket removal, without charging me near enough 1K for the pleasure.

The presence of the asbestos and the socket are a bit of a complication but not a bar to any works, much will depend on how it is connected indoors and whether it is actually attached to the asbestos part of the building, if not, modern reciprocating saws will be able to separate it from the rest of the building and placed somewhere safe. What are you going to replace this building with, permission to reattach the socket could go a long way towards calming the situation. Will the asbestos contractor talk to the neighbours on your behalf?

I've never been refused access to carry out this type of work, there is always some goodwill there. A thousand pounds does seem a bit much for the sort of work you've described, but it is the sort of figure that despair would be advising if a disgruntled neighbour joins the Forum and wants advice.
arborlad

despair

Post by despair »

Arborlad .....on no account whatever would i be suggesting a £1000 sweetner to this neighbour ...they never had any right whatever to attach anything to the OPs wall and neither did their predecessor and quite why they have to be so darned ibstructive heaven knows

Its the OPs wall and its in neighbours interest to co operste especially with removal of asbestos

I am sick and tired of your false accusations Arborlad and i have more than once asked you to stop it
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

despair wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:06 pm Arborlad .....on no account whatever would i be suggesting a £1000 sweetner to this neighbour ...

You have misunderstood. I have made no such suggestion.
arborlad

despair

Post by despair »

Arborlad....i suggest you read the last line of your post above

STOP MISREPRESENTING ME ...YOU ARE A PAIN IN THE BUTT
victorian16

Post by victorian16 »

arborlad wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:44 pm I've never been refused access to carry out this type of work, there is always some goodwill there. A thousand pounds does seem a bit much for the sort of work you've described, but it is the sort of figure that despair would be advising if a disgruntled neighbour joins the Forum and wants advice.
They are being advised by a surveyor who is treating this like some sort of cash cow. The majority of that cost will be paid to him. Or maybe I am just cynical....
despair

Post by despair »

Out of interest what does the previous neighbour who installed the electrics have to say ?

Did they get permision ?
Last edited by despair on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

victorian16 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:57 am Not Party Wall as demolition of a boundary wall and not ACNL as again final goal is demolition.

Despite its very forceful endorsement and misrepresentation, Access to Neighbouring Lands Act has never been an option for you. Why aren't you dealing with the neighbours directly and cut out the middle man?
arborlad

despair

Post by despair »

Arborlad ...if you read the thread again you will clearly see the OP has tried to negotiate with the neighbour ...who refuses all reasoning due to sleight over a PWA issue and thinks using a surveyor to beat the OP with is a good way fwd
victorian16

Post by victorian16 »

despair wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:38 pm Arborlad ...if you read the thread again you will clearly see the OP has tried to negotiate with the neighbour ...who refuses all reasoning due to sleight over a PWA issue and thinks using a surveyor to beat the OP with is a good way fwd
Exactly this.