Retaining wall/ Boundary wall

Jj4321
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 3

Retaining wall/ Boundary wall

Post by Jj4321 »

Good afternoon all.

I am having a issue with a retaining wall which has been ongoing for around 3 years and I am at the stage I am going to pull my eyebrows out (Hair has already gone). I purchased the house around 3 years ago, the property was built in the late 1960s.

My neighbors house is half way down my garden to the right and between us we have a large retaining wall which stands at around 8ft high from my side and around 13ft from their side. Age wise its around 100 years plus old (part of a old historic orchard which was nocked down). This wall is leaning terribly and a structural engineer has confirmed it has gone way over the limit and needs to be removed asap, this is where my neighbour seems to think its nothing to do with them.

My neighbours house was built around 15-20 years ago, the developer had dug a lot of the land out to create the property which has caused the wall to move, causing subsidence on my land. The developer did try to save the wall by placing in buttresses along this wall which is around 25m long however it still has failed.

I have a few covenant documents showing the T markings on their side I have also tracked down the development on the planning website which states it is their full responsibility to repair and maintain. Yet I am still not getting anywhere.

I just do not know what is my best option. Apologies for any spelling punctuation errors ect
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Retaining wall/ Boundary wall

Post by MacadamB53 »

Jj4321 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:56 pm Good afternoon all.

I am having a issue with a retaining wall which has been ongoing for around 3 years and I am at the stage I am going to pull my eyebrows out (Hair has already gone). I purchased the house around 3 years ago, the property was built in the late 1960s.

My neighbors house is half way down my garden to the right and between us we have a large retaining wall which stands at around 8ft high from my side and around 13ft from their side. Age wise its around 100 years plus old (part of a old historic orchard which was nocked down). This wall is leaning terribly and a structural engineer has confirmed it has gone way over the limit and needs to be removed asap, this is where my neighbour seems to think its nothing to do with them.

My neighbours house was built around 15-20 years ago, the developer had dug a lot of the land out to create the property which has caused the wall to move, causing subsidence on my land. The developer did try to save the wall by placing in buttresses along this wall which is around 25m long however it still has failed.

I have a few covenant documents showing the T markings on their side I have also tracked down the development on the planning website which states it is their full responsibility to repair and maintain. Yet I am still not getting anywhere.

I just do not know what is my best option. Apologies for any spelling punctuation errors ect
100 year old wall of unknown ownership that’s retaining my land and is starting to fail...

...I’d be claiming ownership and getting it sorted rather than wasting any energy trying to convince someone else to do the same...
Jj4321

Post by Jj4321 »

Thank you for the reply.

Downside is I have documents showing it is not mine and its on the local planning website it is not mine.
despair

Post by despair »

Sorry but if its been rendered unsafe by what the developer of next door house did 15 to 20 yrs ago its the neighbours responsibility

Surely they have Insurance ...get EH and planning enforcement or Buildings Inspector out and get their help

Why should you foot the bill for next doors developers balls up
MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 »

Jj4321 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:40 am Thank you for the reply.

Downside is I have documents showing it is not mine and its on the local planning website it is not mine.
do you? you’ve not mentioned any so far - and the contents of the planning application are irrelevant as far as proof of ownership is concerned
Jj4321

Post by Jj4321 »

I believe if I have proof showing its not mine from convents and from the local planning portal ect then in my eyes this show a lot more proof than anyone else has to say it is mine.

I even spoke to the last owner of the land where the development has been done and he even said the wall blew down in 1986 and he had to pay to repair it.
MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 »

Jj4321 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:40 pm I believe if I have proof showing its not mine from convents and from the local planning portal ect then in my eyes this show a lot more proof than anyone else has to say it is mine.

I even spoke to the last owner of the land where the development has been done and he even said the wall blew down in 1986 and he had to pay to repair it.
think you mean covenants, not
convents :)

can you please share the wording of
the covenants?

apologies for repeating myself but nothing on the planning portal evidences who owns the land the wall stands on.

the anecdote about something that occurred 25 years ago may or may not be useful - depends on the details (like WHY did he “have” to pay for the repairs...)