Advice needed on damage which occurred years ago

Roseneath77

Advice needed on damage which occurred years ago

Post by Roseneath77 »

Can anyone tell me what I should do as my neighbours did some building within 2 metres of my house which exposed my house foundations under a wall that divides our properties , they left a crack in the wall and a crack from the house to wall .As it was just a crack I took a picture and did nothing about it ,I knew nothing about party wall agreements and that they had to ask permission to build so close.I now know they were never allowed to do this and I am worrying about what damage they could of done that I cant see.
Can I do anything at all is is over 6 years ago?
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Advice needed on damage which occurred years ago

Post by MacadamB53 »

Roseneath77 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:09 pm Can anyone tell me what I should do as my neighbours did some building within 2 metres of my house which exposed my house foundations under a wall that divides our properties , they left a crack in the wall and a crack from the house to wall .As it was just a crack I took a picture and did nothing about it ,I knew nothing about party wall agreements and that they had to ask permission to build so close.I now know they were never allowed to do this and I am worrying about what damage they could of done that I cant see.
what did they build?
Roseneath77

Post by Roseneath77 »

Built a new walled patio area but their land is lower so the foundation of their patio wall is below the wall foundation between our houses so they were 3-4ft from our house foundations.
ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky »

Roseneath77 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:09 pm Can anyone tell me what I should do as my neighbours did some building within 2 metres of my house which exposed my house foundations under a wall that divides our properties , they left a crack in the wall and a crack from the house to wall .As it was just a crack I took a picture and did nothing about it ,I knew nothing about party wall agreements and that they had to ask permission to build so close.I now know they were never allowed to do this and I am worrying about what damage they could of done that I cant see.
Is the crack growing.

How do you know they caused the crack. Could they just have revealed something that was already present.

The party wall act wouldn’t have prevented their works ,that’s not the purpose of the Act. You however didn’t need the party wall Act to act if they damaged your property and should have consulted your insurance or a solicitor at the time.

If you need to use your insurance in the future to repair the damage you need to be careful what you do now or reveal to the insurance company in the future especially if you failed to reveal the damage to your insurers in the past or changed company since the incident occurred

Also the Statute of limitations for damage causing loss is 6 years from the date when the damage first occurred.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion