Party wall agreement; yes or no?

rs6mra

Re: Party wall agreement; yes or no?

Post by rs6mra »

Thankfully it is not listed and we are in a CA....
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

rs6mra wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:08 pm Thankfully it is not listed and we are in a CA....

So, generally speaking, only the outside appearance that has to be considered. I doubt if the neighbour is entitled to move the wall from where it is.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky »

Collaborate wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:05 am Walls internal to one house are different to walls that divide two properties. A wall cannot just sit on floorboards if it is to divide two properties and I think that has long been the case.
Why is it the case . There is no law or planning reg that says it must be the case.

Anyway so there are a number of separate things going on here .

Firstly there is nothing that says the dividing line between two properties must continue up in a vertical line ,straight up. Obviously it makes sense for the dividing line to go straight up because if it don’t it then makes elements of the structure below party structures which then adds complication

I’m not sure if it relevant here but there is also nothing that I’m aware of that says you can’t occupy and adverse possess real property above or below an adjacent dwelling.

Many properties in this country still have no Partition walls separating their loft spaces and if someone wished to close off their space I’m not aware of anything legally that says in in order to do it any wall built in the loft must be a continuation of any party wall or structure below..

if I owned a large property and decided to divide it into two properties and wished to do it so one over-sailed the other there is no law that said I couldn’t . Building control may have a say due to fire safety or structural strength if the wall sat on wooden beams instead of a party wall below but providing I satisfied safety i could do so.

Obviously it would make sense to draft plans which showed the freehold of one property was over sailing another like they do with a flying freehold , but if I failed to do so there are arguments that you bought what you were visually sold and even if that argument failed there will come a time under the law where if it lasted long enough possession becomes equal to ownership
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

My understanding is that Building Regulations apply different standards to walls that divide dwellings compared to wall a that are internal to one dwelling.
ukmicky

Post by ukmicky »

ukmicky wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:06 pm
Collaborate wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:05 am Walls internal to one house are different to walls that divide two properties. A wall cannot just sit on floorboards if it is to divide two properties and I think that has long been the case.
Why is it the case . There is no law or planning reg that says it must be the case.

Anyway so there are a number of separate things going on here .

Firstly there is nothing that says the dividing line between two properties must continue up in a vertical line ,straight up. Obviously it makes sense for the dividing line to go straight up because if it don’t it then makes elements of the structure below party structures which then adds complication

I’m not sure if it relevant here but there is also nothing that I’m aware of that says you can’t occupy and adverse possess real property above or below an adjacent dwelling.

Many properties in this country still have no Partition walls separating their loft spaces and if someone wished to close off their space I’m not aware of anything legally that says in in order to do it any wall built in the loft must be a continuation of any party wall or structure below..

if I owned a large property and decided to divide it into two properties or more properties and wished to do it so one over-sailed the others there is no law that said I couldn’t . Building control may have a say due to fire safety or structural strength if the wall in the loft sat on wooden beams instead of a party wall below but providing I satisfied safety i could do so.

Obviously it would make sense to draft plans which showed the freehold of one property was over sailing another like they do with a flying freehold , but if I failed to do so there are arguments that you bought what you were visually sold and even if that argument failed there will come a time under the law where if it lasted long enough possession becomes equal to ownership
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Post by ukmicky »

Sry above quoted after an edit for some reason.

Building control will allow anything if you can show the structural strength , fire safety , u values etc. are not compromised .

Making changes to an existing dwelling is also different to building a new building
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Collaborate wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:23 pm My understanding is that Building Regulations apply different standards to walls that divide dwellings compared to wall a that are internal to one dwelling.

arborlad wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:50 am
Collaborate wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:05 am Walls internal to one house are different to walls that divide two properties.

The wall in question is both.
arborlad

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

arborlad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:08 pm The wall in question is both.
Have a long hard think about that statement. It cannot be both. It either site wholly within one dwelling or it acts as a boundary separating two dwellings. Your usual tactic of reposting statements isn't helping you here.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Collaborate wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:23 am
arborlad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:08 pm The wall in question is (or was) both.
arborlad

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

arborlad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:08 pm The wall in question is both.
Have a long hard think about that statement. It cannot be both. It either site wholly within one dwelling or it acts as a boundary separating two dwellings. Your usual tactic of reposting statements isn't helping you here.
I can do this indefinitely, or until you actually post an explaination.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

arborlad

arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Collaborate wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:37 pm................ until you actually post an explaination.

I have, 11:22 am today.
arborlad

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

arborlad wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:54 pm
Collaborate wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:37 pm................ until you actually post an explaination.

You're trolling again.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Collaborate wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:46 pm
arborlad wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:54 pm

You're trolling again.

Are you disputing this?

arborlad wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:22 am
arborlad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:08 pm The wall in question is (or was) both.
arborlad

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

I'm not disputing the fact that you posted it. I'm pointing out that it is nonsensical.